skyline tail lights

hahn><boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of the skylines tail lights, our cobalts look like them during the day but at night with only the outside 2 lights light up I think looks lame. Is there any way to get all four light lit up.

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah just take them apart and solder in some led strips in the form of a circle

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

2x 100mm LED rings, you can find these on eBay if you search for "100mm angel eyes" they comes up for about $20 shipped.
2x 120mm LED rings, eBay got those also.
2x 5 Post relays, I got these on eBay also.
2x PWM's, it's basically a fancy dimmer switch. I got mine from here
You're also gonna need some wire, a few basic tools like a solder iron, wire cutters, a hair drier, a few quick release tabs, and a hot glue gun.
Finally you're gonna need a 32oz Gatorade bottle and a plastic cup.

*BUILDING THE HOUSINGS!*

Step 1: Bake open your tail lights, I used a hair drier... it took awhile but i got them open. I used a hair drier, heated up the sides and ran a knife around the edges.
Step 2: Take the LED rings and center them as best as you can in the housing.
DSCF1912.JPG

Step 3: (center tails) you’re gonna wanna make some kinda light shield so the lights don’t bleed to much. For the center tails I used the top part of an italian cup (Don’t ask how I came up with that idea)
DSCF1915.JPG

Step 3: (outer tails) For the light shield on these I used a gatorade bottle cut it in half and painted black.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

Step 4: Glue everything down, I used hot glue and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far.
Step 5: I took some foam packing paper stuff and cut them to fit in the the center of the outer tails so you don’t see all the wires.
IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

Step 6: reseal them bad boys back up.... take a break now, the wiring is hard.
IMAG0083.jpg

*WIRING!!*

Step 1: Take your 5 pole relay and connect up wires to each pole.

Your relay should now have 5 wires coming out, labeled. 30, 86, 87a, 87, and 85.

Pole 30 should go to your cars tail light ground wire.
Pole 85 should go to PWM + Input
Pole 86 should go to your cars running light tab (which the middle tab)
Pole 87 should go to the LED rings negative wire.
Pole 87a should go to the PWM - Input

Now, the PWM should still have 2 unused plus + and - output, which are going to go to your LED rings.

The PWM is also going to have 2 wires going to the + input, one from the relay and 1 going to your cars tail light break wire (the the tab completely opposite from the ground).

And that’s basically it, install them and you’re done! You can use some load resistors to prevent hyper blink, but that’s up to you

hahn><boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

got any pictures of how it looks when its on the car?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Is there a pre built assembly, that looks like it will take a while

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
you might could check ebay but i dont know of anyone who markets them

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

imag02070.jpg

hahn><boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen sombody do that on google images with leds. probly the same process though..

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

my bad those are leds. had to look closer

JR's G5

Reaction score
i love the skyline and that is why i took a liking to the cobalt, the tail lights do look similar, but i have never seen the nite time look. That is fantastic!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso