Steering get hard and fault code P0171 and P0520

matarneh81

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have 2005 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2 L with 115k. The problem have started just today when the steering got very hard, then after 15 min the check engine light appeared, and when I read the error code they were the tow faults P0171 and P0520. Then the steering problem disappeared and then came back then disappeared!!!!!!. My question now, Are the 2 faults I mentioned before have some thing to do with the steering problem or they are separated from each other? I read some suggestions that disconnecting the battery for 30 will confirm the problem, what do you think?, Are these 2 problems are serious? and what is the expected price to fix these problems suppose that I just have the P0171 and P0520?
Thanks

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The p0171 is a lean code. Try cleaning your MAF sensor.
P0520 is a low oil pressure code. Is your oil light lit as well?
Power steering is a recall, take that to the dealership for a free replacement.

matarneh81

Reaction score
Thank you YelloEye

First of all thank you very much Yelloeye for your response. About power steering recall, does it matter if I am the first owner or not? because I am not the first owner, and I think also that my factory warranty is expired can I still do the recall. I am sorry but I am new in this country and I am not fully understand these stuff. Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, you could be the 20th owner at 500k mi and it would still be covered under the recall.

colson1230

Reaction score
Check for vacuum leaks as well for the p0171 lean code...90% of the vehicles i see in my shop with this code has some sort of vacuum leak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup