stripped seatbelt bolt recommendations?

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stripped the damn head of seatbelt bolt on the passenger side trying to finally get my panels off to paint. I cold just cut the head off, and then kind of shape it like a bolt, or just pound an old socket on it. Anyone else had this problem? Just trying to see which of my ideas would be best without messing up the panel, seatbelt, or the bracket. If so, do sedan seatbelts return and everything match the coupes?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're best bet is going to leave the head attached to the bolt. Since you've already destroyed the threads you can weld a new hex head onto it and then get it off.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought of that, I was hoping no to be welding inside of the car. That is going to force me to take all the seats out, and headliner. Damn. I guess I should start shopping for the fabric now.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could cut a flat blade slot into the head, it will weaken it a little but might let you loosen it. That sucker is a beast.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to heat it up and use some vise grips, then do the cutting small enough I can slide the bracket off so there is more surface area to grip today. If all else fails, the welder and nut gets pulled out.

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. If I didnt borrow it I would. It is a snap on. I wonder if they would still replace it? Lol

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Its out!! Heated it up with a little torch, and vice gripped it. Panels ok, but the bracket cover was a casualty. I dont think I can patch it up. Lol

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. And since I bought some good hex head replacements, when I need to drop the headliner, it will be easy to get off. Hopefully that is soon. It will look odd until I get that done.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure to use blue thread lock in there, don't want those to walk out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup