Transmission fluid flush, pan drop????

amy_lynne_92485

Reaction score
Forgive me if I sound like, for lack of a better term, "a girl", but I'm clueless on transmissions. I have a 2008 Cobalt Coupe LT with almost 70,000 miles on it. I was wondering what is entailed with a transmission fluid flush and what an auto shop means by, "It will cost more if we have to drop the pan." Its a significant price difference. How would I find out before hand, if I need that??

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a sealed unit, as in there is no drain plug unlike a oil pan has, So they remove the pan of the trans to change the fluid.
I thought you dont change this till the 100k mark.

Remy

Reaction score
Like Tom said, there's no drain plug. The pan needs to be removed to drain the fluid. The filter usually gets changed with that type of service. The Cobalt owners manual says to service the transmission fluid at 50,000 miles.

For future reference..
Spark Plugs at 100,000
Coolant at 150,000 or 5-years which ever comes first
Air Filter at 50,000 or if it's dirty
Serpentine Belt at 150,000 or when it's worn or cracking

Myself and my cohorts at the dealer I work for recommend (and also service our own vehicles at) Coolant and transmission at 30,000.

mrblanche

Reaction score
Like Tom said, there's no drain plug. The pan needs to be removed to drain the fluid. The filter usually gets changed with that type of service. The Cobalt owners manual says to service the transmission fluid at 50,000 miles.

Myself and my cohorts at the dealer I work for recommend (and also service our own vehicles at) Coolant and transmission at 30,000.

Of course, you do. However, the manual calls for transmission service at 100,000 miles, except severe duty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso