Transmission Swap

GizmoGearhead07

Reaction score
Hey , i have a 2007 balt ls with the 2.2l and a manual transmission. i just replaces the clutch 3000 miles ago and it feels like its not engaging all the way when im flooring it? i usually drive pretty hard on the clutch so instead of having to keep replacing clutches, i was thinking of swapping for an auto tranny. i know its expensive and most guys just say to get an auto car. but i like my car and selling or trading it at this point is not an option. what i want to know is all the parts im going to need for the swap and an estimation on price. i can do all the work myself so im not payin for labor, just parts. thanks

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you bleed the clutch line and get a new slave cylinder? if not, there's your problem

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then you may have not properly broken it in. It would be MUCH MUCH cheaper to just put a stronger clutch in than attempt to do an automatic swap. It would cost you a couple hundred for a clutch but thousands to do the automatic swap

GizmoGearhead07

Reaction score
Well then you may have not properly broken it in. It would be MUCH MUCH cheaper to just put a stronger clutch in than attempt to do an automatic swap. It would cost you a couple hundred for a clutch but thousands to do the automatic swap

I did not realize that there was a certain way to "break in" a clutch. but either way i am getting tired of having to shift, as bad as it sounds. i really want to figure out what it would take to swap to an auto.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of time, money, tuning, frustration, down time. It's not as easy as the older cars. These cars have control units that talk to eachother and are specific to the vin number. You would decrease the value because it would probably never run right. I'm sure you could find someone with an auto willing to trade

Mr. Project

Reaction score
I noticed that you said you think it came with a slave cylinder. Does that mean you think that you put it in or you don't know what that is. I know that I bought an OEM organic clutch and broke it in and all it had with the kit was the pressure plate, clutch, and slave cylinder. No flywheel. Even though it was a little marked, I took some sand paper to it and it will grab no matter what. I don't think you bled it correctly, or you didn't install something right. Was your flywheel scorched?

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh didn't even think about the flywheel... did you get it resurfaced? because that would definitely cause it to not work properly. so we're down to the slave cylinder didn't get replaced, clutch line didn't get bled properly, OR flywheel didn't get resurfaced. i'd bring it back to the shop you brought it to if you had a shop do it

GizmoGearhead07

Reaction score
i bought the oem kit which did come with a new slave cylinder and i did bleed the clutch line (may need to be done again). but i did not get the flywheel resurfaced, which seems like a logical problem. i did the work myself so taking it back to the shop isnt an option. i might wait untill i have enough money to buy a racing clutch and then do the swap and get the flywheel resurfaced when i do.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought the oem kit which did come with a new slave cylinder and i did bleed the clutch line (may need to be done again). but i did not get the flywheel resurfaced, which seems like a logical problem. i did the work myself so taking it back to the shop isnt an option. i might wait untill i have enough money to buy a racing clutch and then do the swap and get the flywheel resurfaced when i do.

sounds like a good option too me , so in order to swap out this tranny u need to drop the the cradle, and pull out the engine through the top ??? i am just wondering i may be doing a clutch replacement in the future

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso