Valve Lifters

papa karl

Reaction score
How to install the lifters in a 2.2 Ecotec?

My son's 08 Cobalt 2.2 overheated again and blew the head gasket again. Had the head shaved but it came back with the lifters and rockers in a plastic bag (the recommended guy had a death in his family and now his shop is closed for a while).

So now what? Do the lifters get pressed in (or hammered in), do I get new ones, or do I take the head to another shop, any other ideas? I assume I have to remove the cams to do this?

Do those HLA's come apart to inspect the valve inside (like the Japanese versions)?, they all wont compress down (don't want to use pliers).

Thanks guys!!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't done lifters yet, let me do a little research and I'll post back.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Alright I looked at it and talked to a friend that's done it. The lifters just get set in there by hand, no hammering or pressing required. Cams must be removed.

Make sure those cam caps go back into exactly the same spot they came from when you remove them, otherwise the cam journals won't be happy for long.

To inspect the inside of the valves you'll need to remove the retainer and spring to get the valve out, is not much fun. Otherwise you can wait until you have the cams in and spin them.

papa karl

Reaction score
Oh GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the stuff (rollers and lifters, brackets and bolts) came back in a plastic bag!! DANG!!!

I tried to force the HLA's with fingers and....... no joy. Those things aint going in there without a fight (used a small hammer and was careful around the little plunger), and I'm not up for a battle.

I do believe now the shop gave me another head, or parts. <<curses!!!>>

I guess there is no other way other than throw in new stuff, or wait till the guy shows up. Dang again!!!

OK!! Thanks again YellowEye

DANG!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the head and parts you got back?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just looking for reference.
ecotec_060.jpg

papa karl

Reaction score
I think I have a weird dilemma though, what if the new lifters won't fit, are there different sizes, will I have to drill them out? Maybe he gave me a different year head.

I guess I'll wait till the guy shows up from the funerals and stuff (I mean, how long can it be?)

Thanks guys!!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there are different size lifters. The head he gave you has the VVT provisions next to cyl 1 right?

papa karl

Reaction score
Don't think I know what that looks like, but there's nothing like the 300zx VVT stuff, no solenoid or cables, no plungers in either cam, no nothing.

Dude aint picking up his shop phone and this weekend should be around 75 here, so I'm gonna try another shop.

Thanks guys!!!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That picture you posted of the head above, is that cyl1? Cause if so that's the wrong head for an 08 LAP, there's no VVT solenoid provisions. Should look like this.
GM22_Direct-Inj.gif

The two holes next to the cyl1 spark plug hole are for your solenoids, you do have solenoids right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup