what kind of muffler to get

to34

Reaction score
hi there,im wanting to get a high performance muffler that will produce a nice racey sound but not to loud and not that exspensive ,i have an 09 cobalt ls 2.2 can any body help please? thank you-- t.oller

blu3_v1p3r

Reaction score
This was just mentioned in another exhaust thread. You can talk to your local exhaust shop, and find out how much it will be to get a exhaust system build, using the muffler of your choice. You can find the muffler on ebay or at any of your local autoparts stores. You don't want to go any bigger then 2.5 in piping. Some of the better mufflers are Megan Racing, Borla, DC Sports, Skunk2, Apexi, and HKS. Also there are numerous catback exhausts available for our cars. GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. There are many many videos on youtube. Just click and figure out which ones you like best and start saving your pennies.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just buy a complete catback that is already made for the car. a lot of times it seems that exhaust shops can't always make that perfect cut for mufflers. the stock piping is so small that if you put a different muffler on it, it's going to sound raspy and ricey as ****.

blu3_v1p3r

Reaction score
If an exhaust shop can't make an exhaust system.... what does that say about the shop...

My friend Gary that I work with has an autosports shop (SAGE Autosports) about 10 mins away from me. He said they will custom build, fit, and test a mandrel bent exhaust for me for 150 using what ever muffler I want, weather I order it through them or not. They also said they will add a flange on the stock SS catback where they have to cut it near the rear end so it will be bolt on, incase I get tired of exhaust they build for me.

I was just searching around for a DC Sports Catback, and all of them that i found would run about 400 to 500 and shipping, and I searched for just the DC Sports muffler runs about 60 shipped.

Not a bad deal in my mind.... spend $200 on an exhaust system that will be just as good as any other aftermarket exhaust out there...

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

just buy a complete catback that is already made for the car. a lot of times it seems that exhaust shops can't always make that perfect cut for mufflers. the stock piping is so small that if you put a different muffler on it, it's going to sound raspy and ricey as ****.

I was talking about the shop making a complete cat back....

Last edited:

Tuner923

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no muffler on my SS for awhile then went to a 3" magnaflow. it was very loud and ridiculous drone on the high way. I am now sporting a 3" catback from modern performance only loud high rpm wot no drone. I can now enjoy conversations while driving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso