when can i wash/wax new paint?

tylerb

Reaction score
HONESTLY it depends on what you call new paint...

if it is dealership new paint...like new car... it is good to go...wash and wax as you please

IF it has been repainted but baked then it is good to go...

if it has been repainted and cured but not baked then you must wait 60 days...

paints never "dry" they cure....this is from the solvents in the paint evaporating off....if you wax it seals it and doesnt allow the vapors to escape...eventually causint paint failure...

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
HONESTLY it depends on what you call new paint...

if it is dealership new paint...like new car... it is good to go...wash and wax as you please

IF it has been repainted but baked then it is good to go...

if it has been repainted and cured but not baked then you must wait 60 days...

paints never "dry" they cure....this is from the solvents in the paint evaporating off....if you wax it seals it and doesnt allow the vapors to escape...eventually causint paint failure...

well it got painted wednesday, baked over night, and i picked it up thursday afternoon

Tyrone Biggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should wait 1 month before doing it. Even it was baked. just take a soapy rag and clean what needs to be cleaned. Ive had several cars painted, by professional shops and I have always been told 1 month. What happens is, even though it was baked, its still not completely cured. The 1 month insures that it is completely done. Trust me on this, I had the roof fixed on the balt, and forgot and waxed it, you can now see the scratch again.:emotions122:

tylerb

Reaction score
You should wait 1 month before doing it. Even it was baked. just take a soapy rag and clean what needs to be cleaned. Ive had several cars painted, by professional shops and I have always been told 1 month. What happens is, even though it was baked, its still not completely cured. The 1 month insures that it is completely done. Trust me on this, I had the roof fixed on the balt, and forgot and waxed it, you can now see the scratch again.:emotions122:

it really depends....

if it is something where they can high temp bake it (hood, trunk, fender, etc.) then its probably ok in a week or so...but anything that cant be removed from the car should not be waxed for 30-60 days like you said...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie