Electrical help

Showtime197

Reaction score
hey i have a 06 cobalt ls. im running two 1500w 12" type r's, a 2700 w jbl amp, a jensen flipout and now 6000k HID headlights. my lights are flickering,and my batt doesnt seem to be workin very well. i was wondering what recommendations everyone had for me to do to give enough power to everything without damaging my car. i was recommended a high output alternator?

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bump for an answer.

I know my friends Suburban had almost had the same problem. His lights inside of his car kept on flickering on and off everytime his amp went off. :rofl:

outtamymind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a capacitor in your system OP. that should help alot with the flickering. aslo you might want to look into getting your alternator checked out as that could be also starting to fail.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
caps wont help you here bud, get an optima yellow top or equivalent. I had the same problem with mine and that helped immensely.

Showtime197

Reaction score
i went to optimas website and it doesnt even show cobalt for battery fitting..

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Capacitors are really not that effective for helping with a constant drain on the system, they do help maintain a constant voltage at the amp for short bursts but with high draw situations the cap becomes an effective paperweight. Upgrade the factory ground, the engine ground, then the battery. The reason your electrical is dying out is that the typical lead acid battery does not handle vibration well, and with a set of good subs in the trunk you can kill one in pretty short order. Upgrade to a gel cell battery like the optima or for the ultimate in vibration resistance a dry cell battery (the dry cell is very costly though). Once the new battery is installed have the system load tested to see if the alternator is working well, with a bad battery you can also burn up an alternator pretty quickly. In case your wondering I am a very well qualified audio guy and have well over 15 years of automotive mechanical experience so I know what I am talking about here.

Showtime197

Reaction score
Capacitors are really not that effective for helping with a constant drain on the system, they do help maintain a constant voltage at the amp for short bursts but with high draw situations the cap becomes an effective paperweight. Upgrade the factory ground, the engine ground, then the battery. The reason your electrical is dying out is that the typical lead acid battery does not handle vibration well, and with a set of good subs in the trunk you can kill one in pretty short order. Upgrade to a gel cell battery like the optima or for the ultimate in vibration resistance a dry cell battery (the dry cell is very costly though). Once the new battery is installed have the system load tested to see if the alternator is working well, with a bad battery you can also burn up an alternator pretty quickly. In case your wondering I am a very well qualified audio guy and have well over 15 years of automotive mechanical experience so I know what I am talking about here.

didnt know about the vibration effecting the battery, thats good to know. any recommendation for which optima battery to get?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso