Electrical help

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can check your own battery and alternator with the proper tools ( multi-meter) simply place the lead off the multimeter onto ur batter leads wit the car shut off and the output should be at or about 12.6v then once thas takin care of turn the car on and do the same thing the output now should read 13+volts which will let you know your alternator is pushing out enough voltage to keep your battery charged...

Showtime197

Reaction score
ive been told that i shouldnt use optima bc cobalt needs a special battery due to trunk placement, that the optima can overheat and blow??

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ive been told that i shouldnt use optima bc cobalt needs a special battery due to trunk placement, that the optima can overheat and blow??

Never heard that and havent had a problem with mine in the year that I've had it installed.

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering about the optima battery too... if anything place the battery up top in the trunk in a custom enclosure so u can keep the trunk finesse lol...you can always extend the terminal wires im sure....

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Never heard that and havent had a problem with mine in the year that I've had it installed.

did you mount your battery underneath? if so which optima battery did you get....i plan on putting a new battery and alternator in before i install my new JL's

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
did you mount your battery underneath? if so which optima battery did you get....i plan on putting a new battery and alternator in before i install my new JL's

Yeah I have had an optima red top and yellow top (not at the same time) mounted in the stock location. I was very disappointed in the red top as my headlights still dimmed bad running my 2 12" pioneer premiers with a lightning audio 1000w RMS amp.

I'll check next time my trunk is empty, some time this weekend, and let you know which one it is. I havnt seen a HO alternator that fits our cars but there is a couple how-to articles on fitting an extra alternator if you want to go that route.

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have had an optima red top and yellow top (not at the same time) mounted in the stock location. I was very disappointed in the red top as my headlights still dimmed bad running my 2 12" pioneer premiers with a lightning audio 1000w RMS amp.

I'll check next time my trunk is empty, some time this weekend, and let you know which one it is. I havnt seen a HO alternator that fits our cars but there is a couple how-to articles on fitting an extra alternator if you want to go that route.

im thinkin about just getting a new stock alternator...not really lookin to add a 2nd lol... maybe you know about mufflers? im lookin to replace mine with an aftermarket to give my baby a nice growl not ready to dish out for a full exhaust just yet (money's tight)..i dont want the muffler to sound annoying just aggressive lol

Showtime197

Reaction score
im thinkin about just getting a new stock alternator...not really lookin to add a 2nd lol... maybe you know about mufflers? im lookin to replace mine with an aftermarket to give my baby a nice growl not ready to dish out for a full exhaust just yet (money's tight)..i dont want the muffler to sound annoying just aggressive lol

i installed a magnaflow muffler on mine and it sounds real nice, good growl but not all loud and doushebaggy haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso