2009 Cobalt LT Mod Questions

Posezion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIP Page: http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/forum/f55/posezions-2009-cobalt-lt-3827/#post125774

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forums so I thought I'd start by saying hi! Anyway.

So, I have a 2009 Cobalt LT and to be honest I don't know much about engines (My dad is the car guy, and he's going to restore a '69 Datson Roadster with me so he'll teach me the fun stuff then) and I can get additional information for you guys, but, what I was wondering is:

What mods should I add? Yesterday I bought 17" Wheels (Upgrade from 15" Hubcaps ) and have added Black Racing Stripes (decals, paint would have been expensive) on a yellow cobalt. I plan to purchase a high velocity air filter (Or something like that) for about 120$ around that range to add about 5-10 HP (Or so I'm told) and I would also like to know about other either small mods or big stepups. The main reason I came here is - Turbocharging/supercharging my Cobalt LT - I want all the advise I can get from people who know what they're talking about. What I want to know what turbo? kit should I get, reccomendations, sources, etc. I've looked everywhere and found parts for 05-07 I believe but nothing for 09. I would like to find boost gague mounts, gagues, turbo kits that work for my car, etc. I can give more information towards my engine if requested (And if needed to find out more).

Either that, or should I stick to small upgrades such as that air filter and stuff, heh.

As for the other mods, can you guys start throwing links to simple little things; I want my Cobalt to be between meowing and rawring, as in, I want to turbo it and have it be reliable (For atleast a couple of years), also when I talk about between meowing and rawring, I wanna know if there's a not too vroomey exhaust upgrade but fucking better/sexier then the, what, 1 inch wide stock exhaust?

I truly don't know too much about cars and appreciate anyone taking their time to reply. This is my first car ever (That I own, payed for, etc) and is the first car that I am being able to mod.

My budget, for now, is between 2,000-6,000 dollars.

P.S. When I say I want sources and stuff, I don't know exactly what parts will fit perfectly, or is it kinda universal when it comes to the general car; especially the air filter, I plan to get that pretty soon.

THANKS!

Last edited:

Posezion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like a turbo very much, yes, but I need to find a kit or something to fit this '09 Cobalt's Ecotech... I have no idea what specifically to look for given that I can find only around '05-'07 kits and whatnot and I can't find anyone else with an '09 that wants to go into such upgrades. Also, I'll need a gague pod for my boost gague and whatnot that will fit my '09... Does the '09 model have the same basic body style as the '07 where I can buy '07 parts or something??? I need links... Also, if I turbo it, wouldn't I have to reinforce my pistons (I.E. Replace them w/ higher performance ones) or something like that... Keep in mind it's an LT, so automatic transmition; I believe it refuses to go above redline, so no real danger...

Last edited:

Posezion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop it with coilovers

Would I have to worry about the tires hitting the wheel wells on sharp turns if I did? Also, how much lower can the car take based on suspension? When I upgraded to my 17" wheels I got low profile tires and overall it's about a half inch wider and a quarter inch taller, not too different but might affect the decision. It would be nice if you could direct me to a reliable website to purchase this mod also. I wanted to drop my balt but didn't think it could handle it, though I suppose it can, heh...

CFCobalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Posezion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google

not trying to be a dick.....but its there....all the purchasing websites you can dream of....

or...if thats too indirect...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
uc
www.TurboTechRacing.com
PFYC - PartsForYourCar.com - Performance Parts and Accessories for Your Late Model Vehicle
JBP Performance Home

all good websites....just depends on what youre looking for...

also...where in SC are you?

Simpsonville, SC... Where yah at?

And yes, ofc I've tried google and ebay and all sorts of fun stuff. The main point of this thread was to get people who know what they're talking about, because I don't know exactly what upgrades will work for my '09. Like I said before the most popular and easiest to find upgrades were specifically for the Cobalt is 05-07, not my '09. I mean, for instance, for a Gague Pod (For boost gague etc) would I purchase an '07 gague pod? I can't find any '09 pods.

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciating every bit of the posts that are posted in this thread.

Also, I was very much so considering tinting my windows, however, I don't know what is best and how dark is legal and which windows. I heard spray tint @ 10% on side windows was the darkest & best decision (Based on a friend in school who probably knows nothing about anything)

Thanks again, and thanks for the websites, bookmarking those :D

Edit;

Also, I was looking at your pictures. Is your balt an LT (Saw your interior). If it is, mind telling me the upgrades (Performance wise) and what you did to keep your engine from exploding, I noticed some NOS in your trunk ;). Also, were your lights bought new or sprayed with window tint orrr smoked or what? They are smexy and would look awesome with yellow in my opinion, haha. Lastly, that neon on the inside of your car is smexy; I also wanna know where you got that. Did you just drill a small hole, run a wire to power and to turn on when your night lights cut on or what? Switches? I don't know where switches would fit to be honest, which brings up a point, where would you put your NOS switches (Speaking of which, my friend told me it was illegal to drive with NOS and that you should take out NOS gauges if not racing, is this true?)? I've been looking for some slots to pull out and put a row of switches for my system (2 Pioner 12" subs) and possible neon and other upgrades. I really wanna deck my car up but I don't want to do overly too much surgery (Cut out a 2x6 block with a sawzaw to install a switch box... lol).

One thing that my dad brought up was that if I were to get a turbocharger and whatnot then I would have to get a new chip for my car - which makes sense. I have absolutely NO idea about getting new chips when you change your horse power, so if you could also point me in a direction for that.

Thanks for taking your time to deal with an amateur such as myself, heh..

Last edited:

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have a supercharger for sale, well most everything you need to SC a 2.2.

superchargeing is safer on the 2.2s because the internal rods are crap

Posezion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a supercharger for sale, well most everything you need to SC a 2.2.

superchargeing is safer on the 2.2s because the internal rods are crap

I might look into that, my balt is my first step into modding cars so idk, I'll do my research. Thanks for the offer and reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie