05 cobalt steering wheel intermittently shaking

Mattt6511

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2005 cobalt ls2 coupe with 100k miles my steering wheel shakes bad between 50-75 mph intermittently. Some days not at all and some days it shakes so bad I don't feel safe driving on the highway. It's not the tires/ wheel balancing already replaced and ballenced no change its not the breaks and rotors already replaced and no change. I jacked the car up everything seems ok nothing feels loose. I have had this problem since the car had 50k miles on it but now it's a almost everyday thing and it's really shaking bad. I already had the power steering motor recall done but that didn't change anything. I'm really going crazy and really want it fixed any ideas?! Thank you so much for any help!!!!

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm, I was going to say the power steering recall but you already did it.

Dang, you have 100k on a 05? I only have 59k on my 05. I guess I don't drive that much. lol

white balt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your rims are any of them warped or bent?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Mattt6511

Reaction score
Hey yeah hah I drive a lot. No the wheels are all within spec they all ballance out fine. I was thinking possibly the steering column itselft. I Dono it's about a $700 part that's a lot of money to spend on a wild guess. Grr I don't know what too do. The problem is intermittent so it makes it harder to diagnose.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

But I can be going 70mph on the freeway and it's fine then after 20 or so minutes it starts to shake like crazy and gets even worse when you brake. But it's not the rotors if it was the pedal would pulsate and it wouldnt be a intermittent shake.

Kanix

Reaction score
Sounds like the samething i have and just replied to another post earlier today. well ur on the right track w/ the steering column... not sure exactly what its called for the part but i did find a video on youtube. just go onto youtube and look up "steering noise from 06 Cobalt" should be the first vid. that pops up. let me know if its the right sound/thing going on w/ ur car.

Skoo

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as Mattt6511. I thought my wheel had come loose, or a belt in my tire was finished. Our Cobalt is a 2007 sedan. We have had it for 1 month, and it's happened 2 times in the 10 or 15 times it's been on the highway. The one time I was going about 65mph, and the other time 75mph. It comes out of nowhere...Starts off small and quickly get worse. I got into the right lane, went down to 50mph and it was still shaking. Pulled off highway and went into a parking lot to inspect. Everything looked fine. Went back out on highway and it was now driving perfectly. Called dealer where I bought it. He said to bring it in this Thursday (January 24 2013) I will post here the results of dealer inspection.

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as Mattt6511. I thought my wheel had come loose, or a belt in my tire was finished. Our Cobalt is a 2007 sedan. We have had it for 1 month, and it's happened 2 times in the 10 or 15 times it's been on the highway. The one time I was going about 65mph, and the other time 75mph. It comes out of nowhere...Starts off small and quickly get worse. I got into the right lane, went down to 50mph and it was still shaking. Pulled off highway and went into a parking lot to inspect. Everything looked fine. Went back out on highway and it was now driving perfectly. Called dealer where I bought it. He said to bring it in this Thursday (January 24 2013) I will post here the results of dealer inspection.

Hello Skoo,

I apologize for your inconvenience. Hopefully the dealers will diagnose what is causing this to happen. Please be sure to post if you have any additional questions on your Cobalt.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service

Skoo

Reaction score
Hello Skoo,

I apologize for your inconvenience. Hopefully the dealers will diagnose what is causing this to happen. Please be sure to post if you have any additional questions on your Cobalt.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service
Hello Vanessa,

Thanks you for your reply.
Went to dealer today. Everything checked out ok. The mechanic replaced the rotors because he did not like the aftermarket rotors the previous owner had installed. Made sure wheels were balanced. He said to bring it back in if it happens again.
If Mattt6511 has his car checked out, I hope he posts the results of his inspection.

PS- My power steering unit was replaced before, and one of the main steering mechanisms( forget which part). That stuff was done before I purchased the car, and was done by the mechanic that looked at it today.

Rob

Last edited:

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Vanessa,

Thanks you for your reply.
Went to dealer today. Everything checked out ok. The mechanic replaced the rotors because he did not like the aftermarket rotors the previous owner had installed. Made sure wheels were balanced. He said to bring it back in if it happens again.
If Mattt6511 has his car checked out, I hope he posts the results of his inspection.

PS- My power steering unit was replaced before, and one of the main steering mechanisms( forget which part). That stuff was done before I purchased the car, and was done by the mechanic that looked at it today.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Great to hear everything was taken care of.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso