Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm gm customer service do be responding quite fast on this foru.m

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Kanix

Reaction score
Shaking in Steering Wheel...

It's your Steering Gear Box Located under your dash. I have the same issue along w/ noise on my 06 ls. which i also have 104k miles on it. but it's been doing it since about/around 80k miles. it's a $500-$550 part to get too. and youtube has a video about it which i found and it's identical to the play i have from the vibration and the noise that comes w/ it. something to do w/ a plastic gear in the gear box going bad.

here's the link: STEERING NOISE ON 06 COBALT - YouTube

hutchd37

Reaction score
2005 Chevy Cobalt Steering Column

Ok so a little ticked right now... about three years ago my i started feeling a vibration in my wheel at certain speeds and when braking. Well did all the initial suggestion etc... i even bought new rims... didnt help. so i took it to the GM dealer , they said that the steering column needed a piece fixed on it... so $300 or so dollars later i take my car home... Nothing changed still shaking just as bad. So i take it back and tell them its still doing it and say that there is no way this was tested... Because they told me they did and the shake was gone. Well then they tell me yea that its still shaking bad so they look at it then tell me the steering column needs replaced. So now i am a little ticked bc i paid money to just have it fixed... well needless to say i pay for the new steering column. Now a couple years or so later its back to doing it. What the heck , this has to be some type of defect in the column their is no way! I cant afford another stinking steering column for one especially if i am going to have to have it replaced in a couple years! Someone please point me in the right direction. I just feel im getting screwed over here!

Skoo

Reaction score
Hi Rob,

Great to hear everything was taken care of.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service
Update: Not long after the rotors were replaced, the wheel shake happened again. I think the callipers are not releasing all the way and are heating up the rotors. I never went back to dealer( to far), and will take it to my regular mechanic.Will post back when after he inspects it.

Last edited:

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its causing it to stick. You could have many things wrong. Air in the brake line system. Seizing calipers. Causing heat to the rotors which causes warpage. Brake pad wear increased 10 fold. Also seized pins on the calipers. A good clean up and anti seize does the trick to fix that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Not long after the rotors were replaced, the wheel shake happened again. I think the callipers are not releasing all the way and are heating up the rotors. I never went back to dealer( to far), and will take it to my regular mechanic.Will post back when after he inspects it.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with your vehicle. We understand your decision to not go back to the dealership since it's too far. Hopefully your mechanic is able to correct this issue for you. If you ever need information about other dealerships in your area don't hesitate to ask!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Distraught

Reaction score
intermittent vibration cobalt steering column

My 2005 Cobalt has been experiencing more frequent occurrences of vibration on highway. After driving about 20 miles on expressway going over 60 mph, sometimes my cobalt will feel like I hit some rough road and I experience vibration in the steering column which progressively gets worse and I pull off the highway and shut off the engine. When I restart the car and return to 60 mph the vibration is no longer there. I am convinced it is electrically related because shutting off the engine and restarting seems to temporarily correct the problem. This car was recalled in 2011 and steering issue was supposedly fixed. I'm guessing from online research that it might be the power steering assist motor or control module or both The module is over $1000 to replace. Has anybody pinpointed this problem?

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try pulling the power steering fuse (assuming there is one I haven't checked) it shouldn't be that hard to drive without PS. My kids 2 girls (>120 lbs) and a son have been driving a 1998 stratus without it for 5 years.

savatreatabvr

Reaction score
Hmmm, I was going to say the power steering recall but you already did it.

Dang, you have 100k on a 05? I only have 59k on my 05. I guess I don't drive that much. lol

I've got 169,000 on my 05, time for you guys to catch up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso