2006 cobalt air conditioner problem

big gear head

Reaction score
I finally fixed this. The compressor was kicking out when letting off of the gas and as the engine was coming to an idle. I replaced the expansion valve and screen. They both had some metal in them. This did not fix the problem. I noticed that as the engine was coming to an idle it would stumble and then smooth out. This is when the compresor would kick out. I was checking the throttle body with an ohm meter to see if it had a dead spot in it. I kept getting sticky black junk on my hands as I pushed on the throttle blade to open it, so I decided to clean it up some and then continue checking it. There was a lot of the black junk in it and it took a while to get it all out. I didn't find any other problems with the throttle body, so I put it back on. Now the engine comes to an idle smooth and does not stumble. The compressor no longer kicks out and the car stays cool inside. So cleaning the throttle body fixed the air conditioner.

ThoR294

Reaction score
I finally fixed this. The compressor was kicking out when letting off of the gas and as the engine was coming to an idle. I replaced the expansion valve and screen. They both had some metal in them. This did not fix the problem. I noticed that as the engine was coming to an idle it would stumble and then smooth out. This is when the compresor would kick out. I was checking the throttle body with an ohm meter to see if it had a dead spot in it. I kept getting sticky black junk on my hands as I pushed on the throttle blade to open it, so I decided to clean it up some and then continue checking it. There was a lot of the black junk in it and it took a while to get it all out. I didn't find any other problems with the throttle body, so I put it back on. Now the engine comes to an idle smooth and does not stumble. The compressor no longer kicks out and the car stays cool inside. So cleaning the throttle body fixed the air conditioner.

nice job! i bet the car was stumbling so bad the computer commanded the AC off so the AC wouldn't rob power, which probably kept the car running (from the horribly gunked up throttle body!) nice catch

big gear head

Reaction score
Thanks, but it was an accident. I didn't figure it out myself. I am glad that it's working now. I posted this so that anyone else that might be having this type of problem would be able to fix theirs quicker that me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts