2010 Cobalt LT flashing driving lights

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my daughter a 2010 LT auto last spring. 2 weeks ago while at college it wouldn't crank, she tried to jump it with a portable from dorms (had 1 or 2 other times this fall, I assumed she left something on) wouldn't work this time. Afterwards the driving lights started flashing and never stop till battery went dead. Next day I was going there for something else and took my 09 xfe battery along. Swapped battery started right up and she got home fine.

Installed new battery few days later. 7 days later on Thanksgiving while driving all gauges and electrical quit, car kept running. Short time later they came back on. That night she stopped to visit my mom, sometime that evening the lights started flashing and won't crank and it's still sitting there.

I put in a old battery to let it drain it overnight thinking that would reset it. No luck connect battery or 50 amp fuse and light start flashing and no crank. Also means can't get it out of gear either so I could drag it home.

Car was in front end accident (salvage title) 33,000 miles, fuse box is a little loose not sure if that could make any difference.

I went thru the key relearn thing thinking it is security issue. First time some clicking noise from front of engine and fuse box area, lasted about 15 seconds then nothing. Follow up attempts nothing.

Any tips, did get Haynes manual over weekend but haven't dug into it yet.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I did already get another fuse box as I'm sure if I end up having to take it to a dealer they are going to tell me it needs replaced.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume it was since it ran 100 miles with my battery in it, then 200 more with new battery. I did check the amp draw with car off before buying new battery, my XFE and it had same 20ish milliamps.

The original battery lost voltage overnight disconnected, I didn't load test it. Just got a new one instead. She's put about 5,000 miles on it since I bought it.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like alternator to me. What voltage are you seeing at idle?

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, it won't even engage the starter to try to start. Can't get it out of park to move it to my house.

Charged the battery overnight with it disconnected, lights start flashing as soon as reconnected. Pull the 50a fuse and lights quite flashing so didn't disconnect the battery again. Haven't double checked to make sure battery is still full at this point. Have tried hooking jump starter too it with full battery still no starter action.

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it started today, pulling the 50a fuse in the truck didn't protect the battery. It was completely dead. Put the portable jumper on under hood, heard starter click. Put charger on battery for 15 minutes and it started with the booster's help. Drove it home 5 blocks and atleast I have it in my garage now.

I really think it's a security issue, I'm going to get the ignition recall done this week, after 2 months of asking her to drive 2 miles to do it, I'll drive 90+ each way.

Engine off showing 11.95 volts under hood (battery tender is connected in truck). 14.66 idle so I think alternator's fine.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, alternator sounds good. If it's a security issue with the stock system the security light will remain lit, also you won't be able to start the car.

Going back, the driving lights flash with the key off as soon as you hooked up the battery?

Is there an aftermarket alarm in the car?

roosterk0031

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock car,

Yes as soon as battery was connected the lights would start flashing, I didn't ever see the security light till yesterday, wasn't even sure what it looked like. Didn't matter if key was in ignition or not. Light were flashing while trying to do key relearn and security light never came on so don't think it did anything.

Pulling the 50a fuse stopped the flashing, but something still drained the battery over the week.

Scheduled to get ignition recall done Saturday morning, so I'll have 2 working keys, I'm going to leave it in garage till then. Leaving battery tender on it till light goes green. Going to check for any drains above the 20 milliamps that my 09 does again tonight.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie