air filter has black stuff caked on it......

1WhiteSSTC

Banned
Reaction score
As the title states, my K&N air filter has black shit caked on it, this was on it before I did the airbox mod, and there is a few ruffles in it as well, rough handling.....my fault, but the black shit, wtf is that and why is it there? Do I need an oil catch can? To add I also have worse MPG with the K&N filter. I tried to clean it with water and I couldn't get that black shit out. At this point I'm tempted to just buy an AEM dryflow filter for my airbox and leave it at that vs having to fight to get the K&N clean again and straightened out. Am I sorta on the right track here?

airfilter001.jpg

airfilter002.jpg

airfilter004.jpg

airfilter005.jpg

airfilter006.jpg

bryson87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a normal filter to me. go to autozone or w/e you have local get the cleaning kit. if u can leave it soaking in like a tub for an hour or 2. but follow the directions other then that... ooo and if u use oil very very very light choat

1WhiteSSTC

Banned
Reaction score
looks like a normal filter to me. go to autozone or w/e you have local get the cleaning kit. if u can leave it soaking in like a tub for an hour or 2. but follow the directions other then that... ooo and if u use oil very very very light coat

Came with a fair bit of oil on it right out of the box, i should have cleaned it up a bit more before I used it. Is the bad MPG because it's so dirty?

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
oil catch can wont help with this...the catch can would help AFTER the filter where the breather plugs in closer to the tb

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

yep

and a catch can will not help that being that it would be after the filter.
See sig pic////
ya what he said :rofl:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie