Cobalt not starting

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a possibility, but if all the dash lights go out while trying to crank the battery is suspect.

onedoughboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming your battery is good. Check the fuse box(under hood) there is a relay marked STARTER. You should feel it click, when someone turns the key. If it doesn't click, switch the relay with another in the box(making sure they have the same number) and try again. If it doesn't click, there maybe a bad ignition switch or wiring to the fuse box. If is does click then the wiring from the fuse box to the starter is bad or corroded. Or maybe your starter is bad, or going bad. You can use a paper clip in place of the relay to test starter and wiring. By connecting 87a and 30 together(refer to drawing on relay). It should turn over. MAKESURE CAR IS IN PARK WITH PARKING BRAKE ON!!! You will be over riding all safety systems.

GMCustomerService

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cobalt 2.2 decides when it wants to start now. Turn the key and nothing happens, it doesnt even try to turn over. Try a couple times and usually after 1-5 mins of trying it starts. Any ideas?

Hey there, Are you still experiencing starting issues with your Cobalt? I am not a certified technician and I'm unable to offer technical advice, but I will gladly look further into your concern in extra help is needed. Feel free to send us a private message in reference to this thread if we can help!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

d_crosson

Reaction score
i finally figured out the problem. It was the clutch position switch. When the clutch was pressed in it wasn't hitting the switch fully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup