engine noise when I first start up the car

07bluebaltx2

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I have a 07 LT and not all the time but sometimes when I start up the car I get 5-6 knock sounds that sounds like its coming from the engine compartment. What could this be any ideas?

07bluebaltx2

Reaction score
only has about 35k miles on it and just did an oil change recently about 500 miles ago and its at the full mark on the dipstick though so no its not starving of oil. It does it the instant I start it up. Just 5-6 knocks and thats it. nothing else. I doubt it could be the valves sticking because wouldnt it be a continuous thing if it was? This is just 5-6 knocks in a row and thats it. Could it be maybe because the oil hasnt gotten from the oil pump to the parts of the engine fast enough and if so is it something to be concerned about?

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you sure its not from behind you? im almost positive its the evap system. you'll get a mil light soon if it is. either that or your timing chain is starting to stretch. the tensioner doesnt start to work right til the oil is warm and thin since its hydraulic. are you 5 speed or auto?

DaBuzzard

Reaction score
you sure its not from behind you? im almost positive its the evap system. you'll get a mil light soon if it is. either that or your timing chain is starting to stretch. the tensioner doesnt start to work right til the oil is warm and thin since its hydraulic. are you 5 speed or auto?

Close.....the timing chain tensioners on these cars are notorious for sticking at startup. Sounds like a diesel for a second and then smooths right out.....

If it's doing it every startup, replace it. Not a lot of $$$$ and a pretty easy job ;)

Revenant_SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Close.....the timing chain tensioners on these cars are notorious for sticking at startup. Sounds like a diesel for a second and then smooths right out.....

If it's doing it every startup, replace it. Not a lot of $$$$ and a pretty easy job ;)

I agree with you. The tensioner in my G5 2.4 did that every now and again and you could hear the timing chain rattle. A second later, it's pumped up and holding the chain tight again.

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tensioner has been re-designed. like an unspoken recall. and it doesn't stick, like i said it's hydraulic and that initial knocking sound is caused by the oil taking a second or 2 to get up to the head. it may start clicking when your engine is cold because it doesn't function properly with thick cold oil. you'll notice it does it worse in colder weather. if the timing chain is in new condition, it most likely won't make any noise at all even if the tensioner is doing this.

Last edited:

Revenant_SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tensioner has been re-designed. like an unspoken recall. and it doesn't stick, like i said it's hydraulic and that initial knocking sound is caused by the oil taking a second or 2 to get up to the head. it may start clicking when your engine is cold because it doesn't function properly with thick cold oil. you'll notice it does it worse in colder weather. if the timing chain is in new condition, it most likely won't make any noise at all even if the tensioner is doing this.

Correct. Mine would only do this on the first cold start of the day. And even then maybe once every few weeks.

I kept bringing it into our shop trying to catch it with the scope but I could never catch it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso