engine swap years ????????

jimmy09

Reaction score
I have a 05 cobalt and the timing chain busted and busted 2 rocker arms and I was wondering if u take the motor out of a 05 and if u change the computer and wiring harness if you can change the motor that way ?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're using the same motor out of another Cobalt of the same year you just need the motor and a crank learn.

haroldlwasson

Reaction score
I put a 2008 2.2 in a 2006 cobalt, I got a good deal on a reluctor wheel that I mounted on the crank pulley, I got a longer bolt from Bmw if I remember right, It was the only one I could find that matched but longer. I paid 12 bucks plus shipping if I remember right. Same grade just a little longer. I starts and runs well. Im still working on a po300 code though, It has a light miss though I can unplug the o2 sensor and the fuel regulator and it stops the miss so I am scratching my head a little but I feel I am close to being done with it. The complete engine installed, left vvt unplugged, I use the 2006 ecm, I used the same crank trigger , I just made the wiring longer to reach the crank pulley. I used the 2006 exaust, egr and intake also I use all the 2006 hardware like sensors, fuel and coils which still bolted on the 2008 engine just the same but the miss is only in 2 and 3 cylinder and I am learning how to use torque to narrow down the problem. As I get updates Ill put them hear for you all but other then the two clyinders random miss car runs good, It has great power and Im excited to get it running,

olddog1970

Reaction score
I put a 2008 2.2 in a 2006 cobalt, I got a good deal on a reluctor wheel that I mounted on the crank pulley, I got a longer bolt from Bmw if I remember right, It was the only one I could find that matched but longer. I paid 12 bucks plus shipping if I remember right. Same grade just a little longer. I starts and runs well. Im still working on a po300 code though, It has a light miss though I can unplug the o2 sensor and the fuel regulator and it stops the miss so I am scratching my head a little but I feel I am close to being done with it. The complete engine installed, left vvt unplugged, I use the 2006 ecm, I used the same crank trigger , I just made the wiring longer to reach the crank pulley. I used the 2006 exaust, egr and intake also I use all the 2006 hardware like sensors, fuel and coils which still bolted on the 2008 engine just the same but the miss is only in 2 and 3 cylinder and I am learning how to use torque to narrow down the problem. As I get updates Ill put them hear for you all but other then the two clyinders random miss car runs good, It has great power and Im excited to get it running,

Haroldlwasson, a couple of questions for you: 1) where did you find the relouctor wheel and sensor bracket you used and 2)did you ever sort out the misfire? I have an 07 engine(that I was told was an 06 before I got it) that I installed into my 06 ls sedan that will crank but not fire, the only thing that i have found that would keep it from firing is the crank sensor. I have also thought of trying to make an adapter to go between the 07 crank sensor and the 06 wiring harness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kpcasperson