f-ing rear drums :facepalm:

ls1fbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no slamming them phil haha. FIRM, as in a aggressive stop, in reverse.

ilovecars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thats what i did. not slam really but firm. like a whoops too close brake. progressively.

pitsnipe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the squeak could also be a loose or missing shim, causing the shoe to vibrate and make noise, also the pivot points will cause squeaking, just be careful with how and what you grease and what you use for grease if i remember correctly i think there is a special grease for drum breaks. and asbestos hasn't been used in break pads since the 70's or 80's, though you should always wear a dust mask and use an air line to blow the dust out of the drum before taking the drum off.

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most modern brake systems (even my shitty 8 valve 99 cavalier) have self adjusting drum brakes.

Drive in reverse, apply brakes firmly. there is a little star wheel in there, and since the torque on the shoes is opposite of what they would see under normal forward braking, they adjust to take in the wear.

Believe it or not, this helps most of the time. If it still squeaks, pull the drum off and take a look.

I like to wear surgical gloves when doing brake work because brake dust gets under your nails easy and is hard as **** to get out. Gotta impress the ladies.

i still think you should do it like this.. works wonders

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie