Hi from victory_red_SS

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by victory_red_SS, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member

So awesome of you to come back to this and update the thread. Great write up on your build and really liking the detailed pics!

2. victory_red_SS

victory_red_SS Full Access Member

Thanks. I know some people have wondered what ever happened to the project, whether it got finished or did I just give up. I'm happy to share here that I the project is still alive and I will keep posting to this thread as I move forward. I look forward to the day I can post up video of this finally running. :)

Rod

3. victory_red_SS

I was talking with the engine builder yesterday and he made the call to scrap the plans to use the SCAT crank that I have. He's going to use the SCAT in a different motor that's making less HP. He has chosen instead to go with a Callies Compstar XL which has just been released very recently. The LS7 version allows for a longer snout which works better with my Vortech/drysump setup. The Callies crankshaft is also internally counter balanced and is designed for high boost and high rpms. The crankshaft will also be paired with Callies Compstar connecting rods. Here is a link if anyone wants to read up on the crankshaft. Callies Compstar CrankshaftOne of the best things about my talk with Jim from Richmond engines was the commitment to having this project at the race track this summer. He said while it would be later in the summer we will be at the track. The fabricator is a good friend of Jim's so they will co-ordinate both of their parts of the project. Next I will have to find someone locally who does wiring so I can get that finished up. I am not interested in towing my car from shop to shop so I will need someone willing to do the job in my garage on a weekend as that's about all the time it's going to take to button up the wiring/soldering.

I was just online and I was able to buy both OEM front fenders and a OEM base front bumper facia for $265.00 delivered to my door. These are donor parts that will be cut up to change the openings for the front tires. Because my wheel base was lengthened from 103" to 104.5" this body modification needs to be done to allow the tires to turn properly at the front as well as remove the extra 1.5" gap from behind the tires. The fabricator has a body shop that can do the non-steel welding at the front of the wheels while he will adjust the back part of the fenders. Getting this done was one of the big things on my list and I should have this done in time to put the whole car into a primer coat by the end of May. [​IMG]

The next few months are going to be fun but I have to finish painting the house first (for my wife, I'm a painter by trade) and we have 16 days in Maui at months end. When we get back it is project time all the way as my wife will be big time happy by then. [​IMG]

4. victory_red_SS

My spare fenders and the front bumper surround have come in.
    I have an appointment to drop them off on Monday so that everything can be reworked to move the wheel openings ahead by 1.5" to compensate for the stretched wheel base.
    I am hoping they will be ready, after my Hawaiian vacation, at the middle of May. Once these are done I will be doing a full coat of primer and getting the car ready to send to the fabricator.
    Considering the price I paid for these parts the quality is sufficient to do what I need as once they are cut up the remaining sections head to the recyclers.
    And yes I know that isn't a SS front bumper surround but I only need the section that lines up to the fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]