Hi from victory_red_SS

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by victory_red_SS, Jul 23, 2009.

  1. victory_red_SS

    victory_red_SS Full Access Member

    Age:
    60
    Posts:
    196
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    I had to make a trip back to Kreymr Racing because Steve, the wiring guy, discovered that the Holley fuel pump isn’t big enough. The reason is because of my using E85. That puts the Holley pump right on the edge of capacity and I’m not a believer of being on the edge of anything. Over build so there is reliability, which as we know means pay more $$$ and in this case the pump required is 400% more $$$.


    While I was talking with Dwain, I snapped a couple of more pictures of the progress. One of the items was done to make it easier/quicker to pull the motor. While this modification seemed like a wish list item, Dwain and Scott made quick work of it. Considering a Cobalt was never designed to have a V8 under it’s hood let alone with a Vortech S/C attached. Once I have all of this painted it will look like it came from the factory this way and it’s only 4 bolts to disconnect/reconnect. In the second picture is also the ARE drysump oil filter mount mounted.


    The picture shows the smart coil relocation bracket mounted. These brackets have two pins for quick removal/re-install. This is another item that Dwain and Scott made short work of. They also made and installed a heat shield for the brakes master cylinder which wasn’t on my do list but there is no arguing that it was an important thing to do.


    There were a few things talked about that are worth mentioning. Steve will be ready to test the electrical system on Tuesday except for the couple of items such as the pump and injectors. Also, Dwain has dealt with the steering column, the steering rack and the header pipes. Another issue put to rest.


    The other item discussed with Dwain was that he believes they will be finished this week. The word finished :surprised :surprised has never been used by a shop, regarding this project, ever before. I know well enough that a couple of tweaks here and there are going to be needed but to be so close, to have the bleeding stop, is monumental to me.


    My wife really isn’t going to be happy with the latest bill but at least the end is finally in site. :cheers:


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]



    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]
     
  2. victory_red_SS

    victory_red_SS Full Access Member

    Age:
    60
    Posts:
    196
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    I talked to the fabricator Thursday and the wiring is finished. The car just needs to have the fuel tank and pumps installed and then the car is finished as far as fabrication goes. Then he sets up the suspension and then we arrange for the car come home next weekend so that I can start with the remaining bodywork, paint and re-installing the interior and glass.

    The remaining balance owing is way more than we expected but there is no argument that the workmanship for that money is top quality. Never before has this project been almost finished.

    This is getting real now and the light is truly shining at the end of a long, dark, tunnel.



    Yesterday I dropped into the engine builder’s shop and I am very happy that I did.

    The engine block has finally gotten a spot in the room where the engines are assembled! This room is where the magic happens people. Kyle, the guy who builds the engines is as stoked about this milestone as we all are. He wants to see this engine run just like we do, and Kyle wants to see the epic burnout once the engine is tuned.

    The Carrillo -Bullet series connecting rods are in and they support 2,000 hp. The cam bushing had to be changed out for different ones and the new ones are now there and ready to be installed.

    The camshaft is at the border and will be picked up the same time as the rockers. Pushrods are the last thing to be ordered once everything else is assembled.

    The engine will be ready to run 2 weeks from today and I am almost in disbelief that after almost 14 years, this project is rounding the final curve. Part of me wondered if this point was ever going to get here.

    Ok, now for some pictures. :)



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]

    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]



    [​IMG][/URL
    ]
     
  3. victory_red_SS

    victory_red_SS Full Access Member

    Age:
    60
    Posts:
    196
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    There are many updates to my project but those will have to wait until I have a bit more time to get those updates posted.

    How ever, I am thinking this update is worth jumping the que for.

    Finally, after over 14 years my race engine breathed for the first time today. It was an awesome moment.

    We need to adjust a few things away from then N/A setup to EFI. We made close to 750 hp naturally aspirated on the first pull. Oil pressure was an issue, so we didn’t push past 7500 rpms. My heads are built to withstand 8200 rpm’s and keep on smiling.

    I need a System 1 oil filter for the pressure we are running. We also need a bigger pulley for the drysump pump because ARE wants us to spin less tan our current pulley spins. We have a few more tweaks to make to get all of the lines for the drysump to fit the custom motor mount. I have a LS steam line kit arriving this week and I now need to order a torque converter. Finally, the patient has a heartbeat.

    victory_red_SS' heart beat

    There were 2 pulls done and this the second one as I was in the control room for the first pull.

    victory_red_SS' dyno pull


    [​IMG]



    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page