installin new h/u to '07 cobalt ltz

njskate1986

Reaction score
hello, new here. im going to be installing a new pioneer head unit to my 2007 ltz model. i know i am goin to need a wiring harness. my concerns is which one would be best. which one would be best, the cheaper or more expensive. the car is stock with 7 pioneer speakers, 2 front, 2 mid, 2 rear, and the sub in the trunk. would any of the harnesses compensate for all of these or am i goin to have to do extra wiring. sorry i dont have the model of the new h/u off the top of my head.

FASTL61

Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need the one for pioneer,and if you have onstar and XM you will need the one for that as well.Gm decided to make the stereo connected to the BCM so it's all the expensive ones you'll need :/

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost 100 bucks for my install kit, comes with a 16 bit processor in it. Wiring isn't any different though

njskate1986

Reaction score
Almost 100 bucks for my install kit, comes with a 16 bit processor in it. Wiring isn't any different though

which install kit did you use if you dont mind me asking.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

You need the one for pioneer,and if you have onstar and XM you will need the one for that as well.Gm decided to make the stereo connected to the BCM so it's all the expensive ones you'll need :/

i have the capability of the xm/onstar but dont really care about that since the subscripts ran out on them months ago. i also dont care much about the chimes as the reason im installing a new h/u is i broke mine and enjoy having not to hear them.

www pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=666&CategoryID=37 (add the dot after www)

this is the harness i was looking at. would this be capable of a simple plug and play, resulting in all the 6 speakers+sub working or will i still need to do some hard wiring to get the rest operational

Jmesl8er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which install kit did you use if you dont mind me asking.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

i have the capability of the xm/onstar but dont really care about that since the subscripts ran out on them months ago. i also dont care much about the chimes as the reason im installing a new h/u is i broke mine and enjoy having not to hear them.

www pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=666&CategoryID=37 (add the dot after www

this is the harness i was looking at. would this be capable of a simple plug and play, resulting in all the 6 speakers+sub working or will i still need to do some hard wiring to get the rest operational

You lose all of the sounds your car makes, turn signals, gas, etc. Why go cheap, and cut up the factory stuff if you don't have to. Thats just me though

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately go for the pricey-er(uh..?) harness and don't risk cuttin into the factory harness..too many horror stories from that stuff.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy metra over pac. they make better quality stuff. regarding the cheap metra vs expensive metra adapter the expensive one is technically better because it has rca inputs vs the speaker wire inputs and you dont have to wire the acc to the fusebox BUT the main advantage of it is onstar/chimes both of which you dont care about. If your pioneer has 2 or more preouts get whichever one you want. If your pioneer only has one preout then just get the cheap one

sfwg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can do a repin on the cheap one for u....and u keep chimes and every thing

njskate1986

Reaction score
buy metra over pac. they make better quality stuff. regarding the cheap metra vs expensive metra adapter the expensive one is technically better because it has rca inputs vs the speaker wire inputs and you dont have to wire the acc to the fusebox BUT the main advantage of it is onstar/chimes both of which you dont care about. If your pioneer has 2 or more preouts get whichever one you want. If your pioneer only has one preout then just get the cheap one

this is the h/u i have
www pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-3200UB

it does have 2 rca preouts. which metra harness are you talking about?

:EDIT:

would this be the metra cable you are talking about?

www metraonline.com/part/GMOS-LAN-04

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MizzMandiPand