MU3 Transmission

sloancallaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I am wondering if anyone knows what I would need if I decided to take out the stock LSD and put in something a little more quaife lol... anyone on here know what specialized tools are needed and where to get them?

rukkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock LSD is a quaife, not sure what you mean.

Yep .....and in the last 3-4 years i can only think of a couple.... off the top of my head...... that broke /were defective. I don't think i've ever heard of anyone "upgrading" to something different either.

sloancallaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol sorry the way I described this was wrong in my RL i have the LSD, but the quafe(from what I understood is "locking" which may prove to be benificial, and so if it it was an upgrade I wanted to swap out my tranny for my GF's and put the quafe in her non LSD balt ss/sc

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a very large PITA to take one of our Transmissions apart. Major PITA. A couple of parts that have to be replaced because they aren't re-usable... AND they are hard to find, iirc. The tools aren't that hard to get a hold of. An improper gear puller will chip the teeth on 5th gear (you have to pull 5th gear to split the case).

1WhiteSSTC

Banned
Reaction score
lol sorry the way I described this was wrong in my RL i have the LSD, but the quafe(from what I understood is "locking" which may prove to be benificial, and so if it it was an upgrade I wanted to swap out my tranny for my GF's and put the quafe in her non LSD balt ss/sc

i can't see there being any difference between the "aftermarket" LSD and the one they provided GM, I think it's fair to say there should not be any difference from the Ion-RL to the ss/tc LSD. Can anyone confirm that for me?

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different types of LSD's. There are better models out there, but I don't think that they are really worth the trouble unless you are getting into some SERIOUS racing.

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any links. Quaife only offers 1 LSD to the public and it is already in our transmissions, AFAIK. I had heard rumors that the LSD that they sold seperately is better than the one GM put into our cars, and that's only because GM didn't want to put the top of the line part in there. But I cannot confirm that... so it is just a rumor.

But I do know of "someone" that has a transmission with a Hi-Helix Quaife LSD in it. Actually, IIRC, its the only Hi-Helix Quaife LSD in the world. Haha, so that one doesn't really count.

There are other brands out there though, if I remember correctly. Been a long time since I looked into it all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso