Need help installing a headunit in an 08 cobalt

Black_Dub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did an install on mine... You need a spacer for the deck not to hit in the rear and as far as amps go just gotta make sure all ur wiring matches up a simple cross of wires can burn out an amp and a sub... And as for door speakers that was fairly simple also... Only 3 screws and 2 clips...then the panel just pops off...and for a really nice bang use a crossover.... Hope that helps some

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
long since done my friend, he had a bad amp not a wiring issue at all. The amp was an old 1 and turned out that it had some internal corrosion which caused the fault. As for deck spacing I solved that with a reroute of the wiring to run it over the top of the bar at the back side. Appreciate the advice but the car is completed and sounds really good.

theempty

Reaction score
Ignition/ACC cable?!?!

I wired my amp, my subs to amp, my amp to remote cable, my cheap harness to kenwood deck, and the problem I am having may either be from a bad deck, or the fact that I didn't instal my ign/acc cable to anything, what am I supposed to wire that too?!? Its not in the harness and I don't have schematics... please help me guys, I have a 09 chevy cobalt ls base model. I really want to figure this out /:

theempty

Reaction score
Fixed

Okay, I got power going to my deck, and it turns on, and my amp turns on and my subs get power/audio signal from my deck, but now every time I turn on my deck, the speedometer/rpm/gas gage, and everything like that looses power. well, it doesn't work, it has lights and everything but there isn't any signal going to them telling them what to do. but when I turn off my deck, they start workin again. ALSO the other bigbigbig problem I'm having is that my speakers aren't working (not my subs, just my stock speakers). I'm 99.99% sure that everything is wired completely correct, unless, i got the wrong harness, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case. SO if anyone has ever had this problem or have any tips/pointers in what to do, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE tell me or email me at [email protected]. thanks so much. :emotions122:

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you either have the wrong harness or wired it incorrectly. give me the specifics of the car and what you have for factory stuff such as onstar, steering wheel audio controls etc. If I do not respond in time or in a time you like contat me directly at [email protected] just make sure that you add a note in the title sayin what forum and how you got my email or I block and delete it.

Wisenos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remembers when i installed my 1st aftermarket stereo in my 1st car...
toyota corolla 1990 sedan (LE) and the deck was a Kenwood k119s iirc
had to use washers to bring it out (since i had no spacers) lol...
had to use bout ¼" thick of washers to bring it just enough to use the ring around the stereo

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I for one was not impressed with how gm made installing a stereo in these cars such a pita. I used to like gms not so much anymore. I ended up trimming the plastic in the dash to install it and run the wires up higher in the dash to get it to go in nicely and fit well. How hard would it have been to give an extra 1/2" of room there. I always said that if I ever met an automotive engineer in person I would beat the hell out of them for doing stupid crap like that.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit at least it can be cut out easily... try installing a dual indash with 20 thousand rcas for screens and transmitter boxes and all kinds of stuff in a 98 suburban or something

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thats the reason I usually stick to the simpler installs and steer away from the over the top stuff. I have done the more difficult stuff so I like the easier jobs these days.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i havent done one of those in a long long time but when someone comes in to get something "fixed" and u have to put all that nonsense back in

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup