Need higher top speed...

My_06_Balt

Reaction score
I have the 06 LT Auto. What are somethings I could do to gain a higher top speed? I was racing my buddies 08 Eclipse the other night and my spedo topped out at 105 but with my bigger rims/tires it was more like 107-109.. I still won but he probably would've beat me if he would've shifted right... The only things I have done to my car is put some 17s on it and a cheapo build it yourself ram air kit from o'reilly auto parts. lol any help would be appreciated.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are real fun to roll at triple digit speeds.

What you need is more acceleration, not more top speed. More power.

Please keep it on the track, last thing you want to do is cream a deer or something else at 100+.

Last edited:

My_06_Balt

Reaction score
Yeah I would take it to a track but they shut down the only local one I know of about 5 years ago.. what would you suggest for quicker acceleration then? The spot we race now is an old highway that nobody ever uses.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
b&m shift plus is a cheap mod for your tranny. bolt ons and a tune will help a lot. but remember, car still fuel cuts at 112....

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only a tune, but a tune is pointless unless you're fully bolted

UncleDave

Reaction score
Long ago, in a previous life, I found myself doing 85 MPH on 1 70. Problem, I did not have my foot on the "gas". Thought of turning off the key, put then I would lock up the steering. Stood on the Brake, and was able to stall it out.

This has nothing to do with this post. However you seem to be pushing the limits, and this is were people die.

Why would you want to defeat the Gas Shutoff? #1 Safety device. Cut off the Fuel, and reduce FIRE.

I am too much of an old timer. Seen too much blood.

I should talk. Right now my Electric Steering has been failing. Seems to happen when first starting out, not after being on the road for more than a mile. Then will be OK after a few miles.

God Speed.

BankDude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gm had a recall for the electronic steering... it's a free replacement, call the dealer

UncleDave

Reaction score
Have been to two dealers, one in Canon, the the other in Colorado Springs. They want me to drive in while showing the Codes. Friends back east have not a clue what distances are here in the High Country. Bottom line is that they were of no help. I have gone through this before.

Years ago, a new engine had to be re tourqued after 1,000 miles. The American Physics boys found a way to tourque down the bolts to a given FLbs, then turn them another given Degress. This was called a Strech Bolt. I went round and round with the Dealers. Finally I came up with the fact that this was the new practice, HOWEVER, it was only for the Gas engine, NOT a Diesel, which I had. Another area was the Anti Freeze. Every one knows that this is for Freeze Protection. Not intirely true. Another factor is Electro Chemical. Two different metals in contact will cause Corrosion. Copper and Iron for example. If you use plain tap water, the salts will work on the copper, or Aluminum which are the metals most radiators are made of. Thus you Never want to add anything but Distilled water to the Radiator or the Battery. However we Americans Know better.

Took a while, but I did track down both of the Latter.

The steering, I am still working on. For the United States Government to act, and I got this straight from the Highway Safety, is to wait until someone Dies.

God Speed

Uncle Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso