Rear defrost inoperative

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By grid you mean the small posts that connect the heat lines from the rear window?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. On the contact post. Check if it isn't cracked. Take the plug and try to tighten up the pin on it.

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. On the contact post. Check if it isn't cracked. Take the plug and try to tighten up the pin on it.

They look solid and have a good connection, cleaned up contact to as best I could with a wire brush, I think I was able to bend up the tabs on the plugs and have a good tight connection but still nothing.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll check mine when I get home. How many ohms are you seeing across the grid?

Of you hook up just the test lamp on the leads is it bright?

Just saw glowing fuse in the OP... wtf? Fuse box might have a short.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless that grid has a bad ground. I cannot see it not heating up.

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I rechecked everything. Here are some pics to hopefully clarify things.

I get .6ohm across the grid with everything disconnected from it.

Reference and ground connection check.
u7atyby3.jpg

Fuse power in.
ryma9aze.jpg

Relay power in (switch off as to not confuse this with the trigger power) this is power from the fuse.
me5upu6u.jpg

Rear +
a7ebyvah.jpg

Rear -
ehevy3u9.jpg

6u6y8y3y.jpg

In line amperage
asyjyry9.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Just saw glowing fuse in the OP... wtf? Fuse box might have a short.

Disregard, the fuse wasn't glowing it was my test probe, I was posting from memory but now that I just checked it my test probe was bright so I must have had a bad ground on my test probe at the time.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooooooo so much better with pics. Short is to hot. Not getting full amps.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

I'm not toooo sure how the wiring is set up on our cars. For all I know there is another connector hidden that distributes power to rear of car. I need a wiring diagram . Also check to see where that wire leads to. Also lift up the bottom seats. Take em out. There is wiring going thru there. I know I seen it way plenty of tines.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

That wire even getting small amount of current means that there is an open somewhere. Its not allowing full current to flow. It may actually be grounding itself out on chassis. Or wire may be broken inside the seal.

wehan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the wire is damaged somewhere or there is a bad connection somewhere, if it was a short it would pop the fuse?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Found somethig. Pull the small little door on passenger side on the kick panel. Like sit Kk passenger side and bottom left is a panel. Pull it. Check the wiring to the BCM and check the fuses for the HVAC. Report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso