Squeaky rear brakes

XxChristalSSxX

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I changed my pads last Wednesday on the SS. Just went to Advanced Auto and got the ceramic dust free or whatever they're called. The were absolutely perfect all weekend... until last night. OMG, they sound like a freakin' 18 wheeler coming to a sudden stop. HORRIBLE squealing/screaming. What should I do now? Just run by Advanced and grab some of that paste that is supposed to stop the brake squealing?

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

BUmP!

sfwg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u didnt paste em b4 u installed? the little metal peice is probably rubbing lol

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm ya make sure u there no hard ware or metal peices stuck in between your pads i do kno that with Metallic and semi metallic brake pads that when the materical becomes heated the surface becomes harder and do to the heat dissipation causing almost a squealing sound specially during repeated hard stops i just put on ceramic brake pads on my Cobalt today and i took it for a test drive after a few hard stops o noticed a loud squealing noise like a SEMI!! lol but the sound went away whithin a few stops after the brakes cooled off

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't wanna sound like a know it all jerk so don't get me wrong, but you should never just "slap" pads on worn rotors. this could be why they're already squeaking. new pads, use cut rotors or new rotors ONLY. sometimes there are exceptions, but you still need a non-directional final finish on rotors. so far bryson seems to have a good idea of what he's doing I'd have him take a looksie.

gberland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ya true did u replace the rotors too?? cuz usually if your replacing pads its a good idead to try and replace your rotors if not u should try to get your rotors machined ...thats if theres enough material left on them to machine lol get new rotors if u can afford it man...i just got a whole set of 2 front Rotors and Pads for 120$ on ebay wicked deal!!!

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
be careful with rotors, try not to buy bargain ones they will warp quickly. R1concepts makes a great rotor for cheap. I've had mine with hawk hps pads for about 10k miles they still have a non directional finish.

XxChristalSSxX

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had my car "guy" check out my rotors when he was rotating my tires that week and that's when he said my rears were at less than 10% but my rotors looked fine.

The squeaky noise wasn't because I didn't use the silicone paste... it was because Terry installed the brakes wrong. :D Apparently there's some kind of clip you have to turn or something; I wasn't out there so I don't know, lol. All I know is after he adjusted them and added the paste, no more squeaks :D

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
facepalm.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso