Started my 2.2 forging

05Turbo2.2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the GM Ecotec build guide, you dont need to sleve the block unless you are going over the 600 crank hp range. Thats why I'm only going to 450ish chp. Trying to keep a 30% or around that number for a cushion.

Anyways, the engine has been fully button'd up now. I did a mechanical check and rotated the crank and so far so good. No binding or resistance when rotating the crank by hand. Going to polish the valve cover this week, mask it off, and then paint the block with engine enamle black or red. haven't made up my mind on that yet.

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Sounds like you're on the right track... just make sure you check everything before giving her the ole start. Don't want something small destroying all that hard work and money. I'm always nervous about fresh builds. :lol:

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the GM Ecotec build guide, you dont need to sleve the block unless you are going over the 600 crank hp range. Thats why I'm only going to 450ish chp. Trying to keep a 30% or around that number for a cushion.

Anyways, the engine has been fully button'd up now. I did a mechanical check and rotated the crank and so far so good. No binding or resistance when rotating the crank by hand. Going to polish the valve cover this week, mask it off, and then paint the block with engine enamle black or red. haven't made up my mind on that yet.

600? i coulda sworn it was 400 according to this gm build chart. if i can get a for sure answer on this id like to know cause i think i might be pushin close to 400whp and i was considering re-sleeving the block, but if it is 600 range then eff it, im good lol

btw rob, your old charge piping looks great under my hood lol

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
600? i coulda sworn it was 400 according to this gm build chart. if i can get a for sure answer on this id like to know cause i think i might be pushin close to 400whp and i was considering re-sleeving the block, but if it is 600 range then eff it, im good lol

btw rob, your old charge piping looks great under my hood lol

Depends on the block. A Gen1 block can hold 500hp, fairly easily, if tuned properly. Plenty of LSJ's have proven this. A Gen2 block can hold 700hp, Ryan@ZZP has proven this.

And I'm glad someone is using that charge piping. It wasn't the greatest looking, imo... but it gets the job done.

BlackCobalt707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well damn, i aint no point in re-sleeving my block then. ill keep it how it is. i sure the hell wish i had a lsj block tho

the charge pipes actually arent all that bad. well compared to my last set up its a biiiiiiig upgrade lol

USMCFieldMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well damn, i aint no point in re-sleeving my block then. ill keep it how it is. i sure the hell wish i had a lsj block tho

the charge pipes actually arent all that bad. well compared to my last set up its a biiiiiiig upgrade lol

LSJ block and 2.2L block are virtually identical. :lol: Just a few tiny differences. The Sleeves are identical though.

And yeah... its a good set-up... but it wasn't up to my standards... and my current is world's above it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais