Steering

AZKing

Reaction score
I had my EPS motor replaced as part of the recall a couple weeks ago. Now when I'm going ~50 mph +, it feels like the steering is a lot harder to control. Has anyone had a similar experience?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had the recall done on two of my cars, never had a problem with it being harder to control.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wonder, i know there is a diff steering ratio in the SS to the base model, is that ratio in the electronic assist motor??? or in the steering rack???? I would assume in the steering rack, but if they used a generic part and used the SS model one to replace all the motors maybe its causing this....hmmmmm

also, could just be that its a newer motor in there hahaha, i need to get mine replaced...just SOOOO much of my own wiring in there i dont want them to mess anything up :p

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i wonder, i know there is a diff steering ratio in the SS to the base model, is that ratio in the electronic assist motor??? or in the steering rack???? I would assume in the steering rack, but if they used a generic part and used the SS model one to replace all the motors maybe its causing this....hmmmmm

also, could just be that its a newer motor in there hahaha, i need to get mine replaced...just SOOOO much of my own wiring in there i dont want them to mess anything up :p

The difference is in the rack, the motor just adds power. Snag an HHR motor to stick in there, I think the bolts match up and the HHR one is brushless so its like 1000x better than the one in mine.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The difference is in the rack, the motor just adds power. Snag an HHR motor to stick in there, I think the bolts match up and the HHR one is brushless so its like 1000x better than the one in mine.
we shall have to look while junk yarding :p

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
We can pull your's to verify size and shape? I'm not 100% sure the bolts will match up. May be able to swap internals with a little fondling. lol
lulz...not sure if im in the mood for pulling apart my car :p
its kind of nice that it runs with no problems for right now ;) *knock on wood*

pitsnipe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the power steering motor goes, does the steering lock up or you just go to manual steering? I've pushed my Cobalt around the parking lot after my wife killed the battery and the steering wasn't that hard. I don't think I would even notice at highway speeds.

ionit3

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had it happen a few times before replacement it just goes to manual no power stering so u can still drive and steer n u get a notice on ur dash saying pwr str

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso