stereo help.

kelogg

Reaction score
i'm kind of new to this whole tearing the dash apart to put in a new Cd deck. so i just have a few questions if someone didn't mind maybe helping a little. i got the stock stereo out, bought a wiring harness, spliced the wires in the right spot, then i ran into a little bit of a snag.

1) the wireing harness doesn't fit all the way into the existing CD deck port, ( i don't know exactly what to call it, but it's the blue thing in the picture)
0219001258.jpg

but it looks like the teeth in the harness that i bought are a little long and that could be why it's not going together all the way.
0219001252.jpg

0219001252a.jpg

2) i have a wire that is supposed to go from the back of the new deck to the internal fuse box, but i don't know exactly where the fuse box is and i don't know where the wire is actually supposed to connect to my CD deck.

another thing is, if someone wants (and if it can get stickied) i could make a tutorial with pictures and such to show how to do this after i figure it out myself.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
be my guest and make one up :)

as for the length of the pieces, take something thin, like a needle and stick it in one of the pin holes...use your fingure to measure where it stops, then measure that against the other side...which is longer? if the pins are shorter then you have another issue...if the pins are longer then they are too long and you (might) need to modify them....careful though!

as for the fuse box, which fuse is it supposed to go to? you have an internal one that if you look at the passenger side its down all the way and left, it pops out and is behind it. you also have one under the hood that does alot of stuff to the car. both have diagrams on the underside of the covers.

on the cd deck check the instructions but it may splice to a power or something in the harness itself...not too sure.

btw, if youve gotten this far your doing pretty good ;)

kelogg

Reaction score
be my guest and make one up :)

as for the length of the pieces, take something thin, like a needle and stick it in one of the pin holes...use your fingure to measure where it stops, then measure that against the other side...which is longer? if the pins are shorter then you have another issue...if the pins are longer then they are too long and you (might) need to modify them....careful though!

as for the fuse box, which fuse is it supposed to go to? you have an internal one that if you look at the passenger side its down all the way and left, it pops out and is behind it. you also have one under the hood that does alot of stuff to the car. both have diagrams on the underside of the covers.

on the cd deck check the instructions but it may splice to a power or something in the harness itself...not too sure.

btw, if youve gotten this far your doing pretty good ;)

thank you, i will do the needle check tomorrow. good idea by the way, i never would have thought of that. i bought the harness from a place that only installs audio systems in cars, i told him i had a 06 cobalt and he gave me that harness, so i'm assuming it's the right one. as far as the tutorial, i would love to make one. taking out the plastic pieces to get to the stock deck out is pretty tricky. it took me about an hour or so to pop them all off without breaking a clip.

and the extra wire is supposed to go to the auxiliary fuse from the back of the new deck.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
so it provides power it sounds like, thats an easy one. if you look at the inside fuse box, its the larger pink wire, just use one of those clamp things that you clamp over it and then plug into the back of :)
as for the plastics, nice! i have extras in case i break clips :p

make sure you got all the little metal teeth things out too...sometimes they stick in there and you cant reassemble without them out :p

kelogg

Reaction score
so it provides power it sounds like, thats an easy one. if you look at the inside fuse box, its the larger pink wire, just use one of those clamp things that you clamp over it and then plug into the back of :)
as for the plastics, nice! i have extras in case i break clips :p

make sure you got all the little metal teeth things out too...sometimes they stick in there and you cant reassemble without them out :p

i just don't see a place on the back of the deck that the wire goes to. if you would like i can take a picture of the back of the deck and the little wire i have to find a place for.

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
im thinking it may splice to a wire in the harness that goes to the stereo...seen that alot

kelogg

Reaction score
i do have 5 un-spliced wires left on the harness. one says "dimmer" another says "dash light" one is black (assuming it's the ground) but at the same time i have a solid black wire coming right from the back of the deck that is labeled ground so that's a little confusing. another is labeled "remote output only" and a amp turn on wire.

06balt

Reaction score
i have the same stock deck as this but i put the new head unit in and it seemed fine i turn up the volume but no sound from speakers, so i start my car none of my gauges work, no blinkers, rpms, mph, nothing worked and like the stereo was on but thats it but nothing else works whats wrong?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts