Water leak on the passenger side.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like it is either leaking on to the round thing under the glove box or dripping from it. Next time i drive i am going to dry it off and see if water is coming from the round thing. Ya it does not smell like anything to me or my friend. And as far as i know everything else in the car has a smell or a color.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

I also noticed that after leaving the car over night the water will not be there. But after i drive for awhile it will start to build up. The A/C is on the whole time as well. Want to test it with out the A/C but the past few days it has been between 95 and 100, so i need to do it at night.
Also when it starts to leak on to the floor it will make a sizzling noise like it is hitting something hot.

Water's boiling point is 212*F. Short of your exhaust components nothing on your car should be that hot, especially anything in your cabin.

duke8804

Reaction score
ok so i drove around yesterday with no a/c for a long time and had no water build up or water dripping at all. Today i drove for a bit with the a/c on and water started to buildup and drip onto the floor board. So it must have something to do with the a/c but what could it be and how would i go about resolving the issue?

duke8804

Reaction score
Is there no one that has any idea for what i should do to resolve my issue.

htslt

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 06 LT. I have looked and looked to find the problem. Ive had 3 people look at it and we still have not found out whats causing! has anyone else tried that leak finder UV dye kit?

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
would freon possibly make that hiss when it leaks out? im not actually sure what freon smells like though..hmmm....

i will check the manuals if i remember when i get home

alltimes

Reaction score
I see ur car is an 08. This is regarding the 05-06 but looks like they still have not corrected the problem according to ur post.

But first The ac drain tube is on passenger side of the firewall, near the bottom behind engine, its tough to see from the top sometimes, it usually has a short rubber hose on it pointing to the ground for drainage. Try blowing some air up into it or running wire up it to see if possible it is plugged. YOu may be lucky and thats all the problem is.
This is a rather common problem with the earlier cobalts, and looks like it still is. By the way there are several other makes of cars that have this same problem. I't not justthe Cobalt.

Now for othe fun stuff.

Bulletin #05-01-38-016B: Water Leaking on Front Passenger Side Floor of Vehicle, Water Blowing Out of Vents (Seal Heater Core Cover) - (Aug 16, 2006)

Subject: Water Leaking on Front Passenger Side Floor of Vehicle, Water Blowing Out of Vents (Seal Heater Core Cover)

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet HHR

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to provide the part number of the screw that is required for the Cobalt and Pursuit models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-016A (Section 01 -- HVAC).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Built Prior to the Following VIN Breakpoints: Model
VIN Breakpoint

Cobalt/Pursuit

HHR
6S551004

Condition
Some customers may comment on water leaking on the front passenger side floor of the vehicle. This leak would occur under high ambient temperatures and high humidity situations when the customer has the air conditioning on high. Leaks will appear to be coming from the HVAC module where the heater core cover and lower case come together. Also, some customers may comment on water droplets blowing out of the vents when the A/C is on high.

Cause
This condition may be due to water condensing in the HVAC case that adheres to the upper surface in the tongue and groove area of the lower case and then leaking out.

Correction
Install the foam gasket between the heater core cover and the lower HVAC case at the location of the leak using the procedure listed below.

•Remove the right side insulator/closeout panel retainers and the panel, if equipped.

•Remove the 5 screws (1) (HHR) or break the 4 welds (2) (Cobalt/Pursuit) from the heater core cover at the specified locations.

•Carefully pry apart the heater core cover and the lower HVAC case to achieve a 12.7 mm (0.5 in) gap.

•Install the foam gasket, P/N 15878211, using a flat rigid tool (feeler gauge shown) into the sump area (1) of the heater core cover.
•Reassemble the case using the 5 screws that were removed (HHR) or with new screws (Cobalt/Pursuit), P/N 11609829. For Cobalt/Pursuit, add an additional screw (2) at rear of sump area.
•Install the right side insulator/closeout panel and retainers, if equipped.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Gasket, Heater & A/C Evaporator Module Drain Tube

11609829 (Cobalt/Pursuit Only)
Screw

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

D9714*
HVAC Case -- Reseal
0.5 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information

duke8804

Reaction score
so i cleaned out the drain valve last night and the ac worked perfect and did not drip at all. But know on my way home from work today it just stopped working. There is a noise coming from the round thing under the dash on the passenger side that is making a noise like it is trying to work. But no air will come out of the vent. This car is becoming very frustrating. does anyone know why the air will not blow out of the vent?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie