What's the difference between a lt and rs suspension?

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
due to having crappy anti roll bars in front (sway bar) mated with those control arms u have, and being lowered. On hard turns you will get rubbing. Its common on Vw and I only have an SS. My control arms are not as wide as yours. If the sway bar is indeed rubbing. A quick notch of the control arm should help it go away.

I am not 100% sure what you are saying is rubbing and where to notch. I'm not sure if you can show me a pic?

Anyone with the LT sedan lowered help me out on what you all did?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd pic is the sway bar. The bar that goes over and under . See if it rubbing on the control arm

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry I wasn't able to get back on here sooner... just had a baby ;-)

I did rotate my tires yesterday... so I took a few pics.. I couldn't see where it was rubbing.. assuming this is where you were talking?

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooo gratz on the baby :)
mines is due in a few months
well the pics look good. No rubbing.
Can't think what else could make it besides bad wheel bearings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I did some research on the internet.. seemed like the most common answers are "wheel bearings", "Brake Dust Covers" or "Low Power Steering Fluid"

I know ours doesn't have hydraulic power steering.. so no fluid..
I find it hard to believe my wheel bearings went bad the same time I lowered the car..
And I looked at the dust covers today.. couldn't see anything obvious.. but I did bend the top of it back away from the brake rotor.. my wife took it out this evening so i'll see if she was able to feel a difference..

any other recommendations would be appreciated!

jonny_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is way closer than mine are. Do you have the ss sway bar end links too? That the bar from the sway bar up to the strut. With the stock ls ones on a lower car they push the sway bar down since they are longer. The clunking could be alot of things. Sway bar bushings, the end links could be loose. They are a pita to tighten. I cant listen to your sounds right now, but control arm bushings are another common clunk, and ball joints are always an option also.

There are alot of thing the clunk going straight could be. If everything is tightened correctly, and the end links are the shorter ss ones, I would start with Sway bar bushings, then control arms, then ball joints. But imho, if it wasnt clunking before, and everything is tight with the correct end links, then I would think a bad strut. But again. I havent heard the clip.

Is the grinding sound on the right side only? If it was a wheel bearing you would probably have a droning sound all the time while going down the highway. Since it is only when turning, i am going to go with the axle also. Clunking while turning and accellerating 98% of the time is an axle.

Last edited:

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is way closer than mine are. Do you have the ss sway bar end links too? That the bar from the sway bar up to the strut. With the stock ls ones on a lower car they push the sway bar down since they are longer. The clunking could be alot of things. Sway bar bushings, the end links could be loose. They are a pita to tighten. I cant listen to your sounds right now, but control arm bushings are another common clunk, and ball joints are always an option also.

Is the grinding sound on the right side only? It may be the strut bushing. There are alot of thing it could be. If everything is tightened correctly, and the end links are the shorter ss ones, I would start check. Sway bar bushings, then control arms, then ball joints. But imho, if it wasnt clunking before, and everything is tight with the correct end links, then I would think a bad strut. But again. I havent heard the clip.

Thank you. That's a lot of information and I'll try to start investigating them. To answer your question all I put on the car to lower it was the eibach SS springs. The cobalt SS shocks. And added the spacers to the steering rack and 2 camber bolts on the top hole of the strut..

It seems now it has to be a harder turn to hear the noise.. we only hear it from passenger front side. ..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He put SS/SC struts and shocks as well. It was my old set up. The end links sounds like a possible cause. I never knew the SS had shorter links. The grinding is beyond anything unless I was there live .

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some SS end links. Should not cost a lot.

Imma find some online in a sec.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso