bad strut?

G5tunerguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about lower control arm bushings i had that problem had both of mine replaced in a half a year period

06_ion2

Banned
Reaction score
i bet its either a loose somethign moving around or a bad strut..sway bar wouldnt do this...it really doesnt move much if at all during a speedbump manuever, it only will really get working when you compress one side and not the other...it will move a lil on speed bumps but it will move evenly on both sides..and rotate in the mounts. and this wouldnt create a clunk...
yes a swaybar bushing would do this.. its a very common problem on the ion's

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there can be a slight clunking sound, but more then likely youll feel it more. does it get bouncy over there? as jn2 said, can you push it down easier and does it spring back as fast? try tightening all bolts having to do with your strut assembly and see if it goes away, could be a loose soemthing, also, make sure your lugs are tight...cause ive had wheel wobble before. If that is all good, then its pointing to a bad strut

also, no spring should blow your strut, your strut will blow if you repeatedly bottom it out, other then that its just normal wear and tear.

how many miles on the car? have you bottomed out the car? how hard are you going over bumps? are the roads really bad there - pot holes, lots of bumps, etc)???

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

end links should be a prob because she isnt lowered more then an inch or two, i have NEVER seen a stockish height cobalt have endlink problems, only ones lowered pretty far...and then its not in this type of situation, its when turning, when your endlinks get tqd and worked around...

endlinks not the issue here...

interesting? i know she doesn't have them but wouldn't lowering springs destroy struts over time? just wondering because my car is pretty bouncy now adays and it wasnt like that when i first lowered my car. I have always just assumed its a strut issue

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
it can, but the springs alone would not. if a stock strut is used it makes it easier to bottom out (or get closer to) bottoming out which puts more stress onto the strut components...but in theory lowering springs alone should not destroy the strut...

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it can, but the springs alone would not. if a stock strut is used it makes it easier to bottom out (or get closer to) bottoming out which puts more stress onto the strut components...but in theory lowering springs alone should not destroy the strut...

yup, even in theory, i've seen it happen.

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
my struts make like a sucking type noise

i havent realy looked at them, they are probably leaking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie