Car wont shut off

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I got my answer from the big GM today. They won't pay the $315 but they will give me a year of free maintance at a local dealer. I told the guy that we change the oil nearly every month or better. Didn't matter whatever the regular maintance is he said they'd do it for the next twelve months. Not a bad deal, I guess I dont have to crawl under the dam thing for the next year. See it pays to raise hell and speak up now and then!

"Regular maintenance" according to who's schedule? And with what oil? If its their schedule and conventional oil I would have an issue with that. Mine gets changed every 3k mi with Mobil 1 synthetic(not a fully synthetic oil).

nerdmanpap

Reaction score
Well I got my answer from the big GM today. They won't pay the $315 but they will give me a year of free maintance at a local dealer. I told the guy that we change the oil nearly every month or better. Didn't matter whatever the regular maintance is he said they'd do it for the next twelve months. Not a bad deal, I guess I dont have to crawl under the dam thing for the next year. See it pays to raise hell and speak up now and then!

strike 1:
I went off to college and my sister needed an oil change on her '06 saturn vue, she took it to the dealership and got it done. 1 months later i come home and pop the hood and her oil cap is missing. never got put back on. she commutes daily to college and had almost 1700 miles on her oil with an open valve cover.

strike 2:
I go to change her oil after replacing her oil cap and the bolt on the oil pan is rounded off. took forever to get it out, and I had to actually place a ratchet on the bolt and hammer it off. Bought a replacement and put it in. Torque spec for that bolt is only like 18 lb ft. why they rounded it off i'll never understand. oil filter was also ungodly tight. perhaps they were training the incredible hulk to change oil that day...

strike 3:
I go to peel off the service sticker from the windshield and realize the dealership didnt even put in the right weight of oil recommended for that engine.

I'll never take a car to the dealership for service again after that fiasco.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My car hasn't visited the dealership for anything but warranty and recall work. **** them.

Blue Cobalt LS

Reaction score
Ok so key is stuck in the run position, and it wont shut off. Had it towed to dealer and they said ignition cylinder was bad. $325 to fix. My 09 Cobalt is one week shy of a year old and has 54,100 miles. I raised hell with GM about this being a safety issue and I didnt care if the car had 5000 or 100,00o miles a person should be able to shut the engine down in any case. So far they have been listening...ahah keyword there. Today they forwarded my claim to district rep to be investigated. I also filed report with NHSTA. Has anyone else had this same issue? Whats the odds GM will help me out with the bill?
Just had this happen two days ago . . . that's why I'm here . . . have to drop the the clutch to shut off and disconnect the battery. My Cobalt is 1 year old with 15,0000 miles on it . . . no signs of ignition problem, it just did it.

TMShannon

Reaction score
My girlfriends '09 just did this last Sunday. Couldn't turn the key back to shut it off. It's a five speed. 55,000 miles and no warranty according to the selling dealer. They could have good-willed the warranty in my opinion, but what do I know? Anyway, I pop out the lock cylinder and take out the tumblers and springs so that she can drive it back and forth the 110 mile round trip to work every day this week until I can get a new lock cylinder set up for her.
Call up my not-so-local dealership(32 miles away) and give him the VIN and tell him I need an ignition lock cylinder made up. He seems a bit hesitant, but has always done a good job for me, and then he tells me he needs a key to do it, and will have to have the car to program it....I'm thinking to myself, no, no you don't. I gave you the VIN, and with that you can get the key code, and as long as we're using the same key, you don't need the car to program a damn thing. Anyway, I take a key down to him, just to make things easier.
A neighbor of mine works in the same town as the dealer and picks up the lock cylinder for me, I get it home, take it out of the bag and holy carp.....what a crap job I got. I'm pissed, and not wanting to burn bridges with this dealer, but a monkey could have done a better job! I got charged $119 for the lock cylinder, then another $60 to code the cylinder to my key. I could live with that, but they took the new lock cylinder to the bench grinder and ground down the bar that pops down when the key is inserted! I'm almost certain that when I install the cylinder that I'll be able to remove the key when it is in the 'on' position.
Anyway, I know this is my first post, sorry for it being a bad one, (and long), but I needed to vent to someone. Thanks for listening and I'll try to keep you posted on the outcome.

Travis

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason the keys wont come out is because of the mechanism, it actually skipped over where its supposed to stop and is stuck on the other side. I would think you could fix that yourself...I think, I dunno I just warrantied mine.

TMShannon

Reaction score
The reason the keys wont come out is because of the mechanism, it actually skipped over where its supposed to stop and is stuck on the other side. I would think you could fix that yourself...I think, I dunno I just warrantied mine.
Which mechanism?

Travis

Cobalt Tom

Platinum Member
Reaction score
My girlfriends '09 just did this last Sunday. Couldn't turn the key back to shut it off. It's a five speed. 55,000 miles and no warranty according to the selling dealer. They could have good-willed the warranty in my opinion, but what do I know? Anyway, I pop out the lock cylinder and take out the tumblers and springs so that she can drive it back and forth the 110 mile round trip to work every day this week until I can get a new lock cylinder set up for her.
Call up my not-so-local dealership(32 miles away) and give him the VIN and tell him I need an ignition lock cylinder made up. He seems a bit hesitant, but has always done a good job for me, and then he tells me he needs a key to do it, and will have to have the car to program it....I'm thinking to myself, no, no you don't. I gave you the VIN, and with that you can get the key code, and as long as we're using the same key, you don't need the car to program a damn thing. Anyway, I take a key down to him, just to make things easier.
A neighbor of mine works in the same town as the dealer and picks up the lock cylinder for me, I get it home, take it out of the bag and holy carp.....what a crap job I got. I'm pissed, and not wanting to burn bridges with this dealer, but a monkey could have done a better job! I got charged $119 for the lock cylinder, then another $60 to code the cylinder to my key. I could live with that, but they took the new lock cylinder to the bench grinder and ground down the bar that pops down when the key is inserted! I'm almost certain that when I install the cylinder that I'll be able to remove the key when it is in the 'on' position.
Anyway, I know this is my first post, sorry for it being a bad one, (and long), but I needed to vent to someone. Thanks for listening and I'll try to keep you posted on the outcome.

Travis

Its all good :D
we've all had those days (ive had PLENTY OF THEM with this car ;) )

Hopefully this all works out for ya though!

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The one that controls the rotational limit of the lock cylinder. Or so I was told.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais