General Carbon Fibre Information

cobalt123

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just some general information on carbon fibre, it has applications on exterior as well as interior, but for the sake of where to put it, well there are more common on the exterior

1-129.jpg

Carbon fiber is the common name used to refer to plastic reinforced by a graphite textile. Less frequently, the term is used to describe the textile itself, but it is pretty much useless unless embedded in plastic. Carbon fiber is known alternatively as carbon fiber reinforced plastic or carbon fiber composite. The plastic typically used is epoxy.

Carbon fiber is very expensive, but has a fantastic weight-to-strength ratio. Attempts to put it into mass production have so far failed, due to inadequate demand, the customized nature of most carbon fiber parts, and a lack of skilled craftsmen. The material is employed in high-quality cars, boats, bicycles, and planes, including popular Formula One racecars.

Depending on the orientation of the fiber, the carbon fiber composite can be stronger in a certain direction or equally strong in all directions. A small piece can withstand an impact of many tons and still deform minimally. The complex interwoven nature of the fiber makes it very difficult to break.

In terms of weight-to-strength ratio, carbon fiber composite is currently the best material that our civilization can produce in appreciable quantities. Introducing carbon nanotubes into the fiber is currently in research stages, and may offer improved ratios of 10 times or greater – a space age material indeed. Carbon fibers are chemically “grown” on smaller frames with a high surface area, designed to bond to deposited carbon atoms. The frame typically constitutes 2% of the total fiber produced.

A bicycle made of carbon fiber composite typically costs around a few thousand US dollars (USD). Formula One racing cars, which travel at speeds over 320 km/h (200 mph), may cost over a million USD to build and maintain, a cost determined in no small part by the generous use of carbon fiber composite. Large commercial airplanes typically use carbon fiber composites, the increased production of which is the decisive factor for the rapid growth of carbon fiber demand in recent years. Both private and public spaceship projects use carbon fiber as part of the craft's chassis.

In civil engineering, it has been determined that old bridges may be spared from destruction and rebuilding through simple carbon fiber reinforcements, which are comparatively cheaper. If the cost of carbon fiber can be significantly reduced, it may become a universal material for vehicles and small products designed for extreme durability and lightness. The current strategies used for manufacture vary based on application and quantity.

continued...

Activated carbons were traditionally in the form of powder or granule. It was not until the last few decades when the third form, Activated Carbon Fibre / Fabric (ACF), was successively developed.

ACF has been widely used in the industries of chemistry, pharmacy and environmental protection for adsorbing toxic molecules. Its performance is particularly effective in shielding the attack of toxic chemical agents, making it ideal for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) protective clothing and filters.
1-128.jpg

IMPROVED NBC PROTECTION OVER POWDER AND GRANULE COATING
Thanks to the characteristic of reduced diffusion resistance during the process of adsorption and desorption, ACF has much greater capacity and higher speed in performing adsorption and desorption than powders and granules. Another advantage of ACF is its easy-forming property that can be fabricated into cloth, felt and paper to meet different demands in application. This new and advanced material is the answer to demands for improved military and industrial NBC protection.

The ACF made by Taiwan Carbon Technology is a high performance activated carbon existing in the form of woven fibres, not the impregnated into cloth and / or coated with granular activated carbon. It is made of PAN (Polyacrylonitrile) fibre, heat-treated in the process of carbonization and activation, resulting in a much more powerful capacity and efficiency in adsorption than any of the existing powdered and granular activated carbons.

ACTIVATED CARBON FIBRE (ACF) FABRIC FOR NBC SUITS
ACF, in fabric, outperforms Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) and Powdered Activated Carbon (PAC) in the respect of formation. With the help of corrugation and sewing technology, it can be made into whatever forms to meet any unique requirement in applications.
2-60.jpg

ACF effectively removes aliphatic, hydrocarbons, halogenated, aromatic, aldehydes, ketoses, acids, alcohols, phosphorus compounds, ethers, esters, sulphur and nitrogen compounds. ACF also removes hydrogen sulphide, sulphur dioxide, chloride and formaldehyde.

LIGHTER, MORE EFFICIENT, NBC FILTER MATERIAL
Being in the form of fabric, the ACF still maintains 100% of activated carbon and, in addition to the advantages of even distribution of micropores and high value of surface areas, it has much greater dynamic adsorption capacity and adsorption rate as well as smaller critical bed depth than that of GAC. ACF is a lighter, more efficient, more convenient and less bulky material when used for NBC filter systems. Through the process of impregnation, ACF can also be equipped with added catalytic, chemisorbic and bactericidal properties.
3-51.jpg

ACF has long been proved as having outstanding performance in adsorbing odours, solvents, bacteria, virus and all of the contaminants that exist in air, gas, water and other liquids.

ADAVANTAGES OF ACTIVATED CARBON FIBRE (ACF) OVER GRANULAR ACTIVATED CARBON (GAC)
The advantages of ACF include huge adsorption volume, heat-resistance, acid-proof and base-proof. ACF's capacity for adsorption of organic vapours, such as gasoline, aldehydes, alcohols and phenol, is seven to ten times that of GAC. It also has significant capability in adsorbing inorganic gas (e.g. NO, NO2, SO2, H2S, HF, HCl etc.) as well as substances in water solution (e.g. dyes, COD, BOD, oils, metal ions, precious metal ions). It also exhibits outstanding ability in the adsorption of bacteria.
4-45.jpg

A bed of 3mm to 4mm thickness of ACF can have similar adsorption performance as a bed of 20mm to100mm thickness of GAC. ACF does not only perform remarkably for high concentration substances but also for low concentration. For instance, ACF adsorbs toluene when the gas concentration is diminished to 100ppm, whereas GAC starts to adsorb only when the concentration is more than 100ppm. Furthermore, ACF performs normal adsorption even if the concentration of phenol in wastewater is lowed down to 5ppm to10ppm, which is not achievable by other adsorption materials.

Last edited:

Hailcesar75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it was mentioned but carbon fiber is a fabric and not plastic. It comes in numerous types of weaves like Plain and twill. Then there's different thicknesses too. You have to use epoxy mixed with a hardener in order to get it stiff and strong for applications. I can't post a link now cuz somethings up with my laptop but I'll post up some links where you can get the fabrics and epoxy.

Btw zach, have you done ANYTHING with your cf stuff?

wardzach2007

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if it was mentioned but carbon fiber is a fabric and not plastic. It comes in numerous types of weaves like Plain and twill. Then there's different thicknesses too. You have to use epoxy mixed with a hardener in order to get it stiff and strong for applications. I can't post a link now cuz somethings up with my laptop but I'll post up some links where you can get the fabrics and epoxy.

Btw zach, have you done ANYTHING with your cf stuff?

*feels embarrased* no, I haven't had the chance to.

This time you all can't be blaming it on me being lazy, I have a good excuse this time. :hahano:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiPMustDie