Need help installing a headunit in an 08 cobalt

newfiedan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got out of the game before they monitors and dvd became popluar in cars, hell mp3s had just come out back when I stoppped doing it. I am kinda playing catchup with it now as a few of my customers want me to do some of the more tedious installs. I am not so keen on doing some of them how they recommend install as well. Thats the main reason I do not touch remote starters, I do not like how they install them. I would much rather see a proper T harness to make it more plug n play type application.

Erny25

Reaction score
So if I buy the Gm harness will i still need an antenna adapter.

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it ok to use a $10 wiring harness from walmart to hook up my aftermarket headunit if I don't care about losin the chimes? It won't hurt anything?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have a 2006, you will not lose chimes. That's only 07 and up.

06CobaltLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well i went to walmart tonight and got a wiring harness and it didnt fit so i was mad, i tried hookin up a really expensive one from a local audio shop that was like $100 and i couldnt get it to work so i just said screw it and im having them install it next week for $50. i dont get all the hooking up wires and everything b/c i had it all hooked up right just no sound was coming out of the speakers but the headunit was on n workin. any ideas on what would be wrong would be nice..?

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the harness gray? jsut because it plugs in doesnt mean you have the right harness

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok well i went to walmart tonight and got a wiring harness and it didnt fit so i was mad, i tried hookin up a really expensive one from a local audio shop that was like $100 and i couldnt get it to work so i just said screw it and im having them install it next week for $50. i dont get all the hooking up wires and everything b/c i had it all hooked up right just no sound was coming out of the speakers but the headunit was on n workin. any ideas on what would be wrong would be nice..?

Please for the love of all that is electrical and orderly do not let them install your stereo. You cannot imagine the hack jobs I have seen come out of "Stereo Installers" workshops.

emperorjj1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol id get all offensive and say "im an installer do you think my cars a hack job" but my shits all fucked up right now so i should sit down and shut up. But you cant just generalize "stereo installers" and say every audio shop out there does hack jobs and shitty work. at the same time i cant say everyone does awesome work either (ive seen my share of shitty work trust me)

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol id get all offensive and say "im an installer do you think my cars a hack job" but my shits all fucked up right now so i should sit down and shut up. But you cant just generalize "stereo installers" and say every audio shop out there does hack jobs and shitty work. at the same time i cant say everyone does awesome work either (ive seen my share of shitty work trust me)

Sadly I've seen more hack jobs come out of installers than I have seen nice installs. But you are right about generalizing.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup