problem with coilovers..

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok so i installed the front strut assembly perfectly, no problem at all.

go to do the rears, everything goes smoothly

i ride on them for a couple days every thing is fine and dandy

this morning i was coming home from a buddys house and every bump i hear a " CLUNK CLUNK" really loud. i get home and check it and here is what i find..
IMG_0242.jpg

you can see here where the shock is SUPPOSED to bolt in to

IMG_0243.jpg

idk how the **** that bolt came out, i tightened everybolt as hard as i could, put my whole body into it.

anyone know where i can get a replacement bolt at?

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably over tightened and stretched the bolt. my impact gun puts down like 180 ft lbs and I've snapped some heavy bolts with it...putting all your weight into it is more than your body weight. think about it.

try using a torque wrench and some loc-tite next time. also it looks like that shock is leaking badly or it's just wet. try to get that boot back on if that's not shock oil.

dealer will have the bolt. if it's not in stock grab the other bolt out of the other side, go to ace hardware, get it in grade 8. nice little upgrade and you can tighten the things all you want lol. if I'm not mistaken that bolt also has a tapered end. you just gotta line it up real good when you put it back in if it's not tapered.

oh and use loc tite! do it do it do it!

Last edited:

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
nah it rained for like 3 hrs this morning, everything is wet, thanks for hte advice man

you know where i can get a replaement bolt at? the stock one fell out i guess?

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help man, and ya your right its a tapered end i remember.

i dont think we have an ace hardware down here, you think lowes or home depot would have it?

ff_drift_lol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so, but ace is nice cause you just hand them the bolt and they find it for you. 20 minutes later the guy comes back wiping sweat off his face and you walk out 2 dollars shorter LOL

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think so, but ace is nice cause you just hand them the bolt and they find it for you. 20 minutes later the guy comes back wiping sweat off his face and you walk out 2 dollars shorter LOL

HA getting other people to do your dirty work = PRICELESS

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They might its worth a shot, could always hit up a junk yard for one too. Any cobalt will have the same bolt. hell even an Ion.

dman090

Platinum Member
Reaction score
god i hate junkyards around here, its just abunch of redneck fuckers that are lazy as hell

worth a try tho

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Come to think of it any car with the same rear swing arm (cobalt, ion, hhr) Maybe even a cavi, will have that bolt you need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso