Should I buy this Cobalt

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need a new chain tensioner and a new chain? Or is the old one good?

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:53 PM ----------

Probably better to change the chain while I'm in there right?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can of you want to, it is a slightly higher mileage motor so why not?

Just watched the video...I think you have a set of bent valves bud. Not terrible to replace, pull the head and check, couldn't hurt to replace the head gasket and studs anyway.

Last edited:

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of inspiration. On these cobalts. 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4. It is actually EASY to pull the head and replace broken components. In fact its so easy that with a Haynes manual, a 7 yr old can do it. These are easy motors to work on. People rebuild these motors with their eyes closed. Its also relatively cheap too. Don't be scared. Your going to get a super reliable motor in the end. Believe it. Try doing the same job on a Vw . Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, these motors are really easy to work on.

Should replace the chain guides while you're in there too if you can afford to.

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the timing chain cover off today after work and a bolt head fell out along with a guide.
BW5Y-KbCcAAoH0N.jpg:large

BW5ZEdeCEAADxgP.jpg:large

BW5ZS64CcAAku1B.jpg:large

So I went and talked to my boss/owner of the used car lot I work at and he said it would be cheaper to put a new engine in the car then to have the spot that the bolt broke off and gouged the aluminum welded and rethreaded so he sold me a running ecotec 2.2 for $175 that I have to pull tomorrow

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 175$ that is NOTHING!!!!! In seen those bolts break off before. Even in my Jetta. So there is actually no way to tap it out?

Edit - I see what happened there. Ouch. Yeah your lucky your motor is cheap. My lsj would of cost me like 1500. I have the more expensive motor. Yelloeye motor cost less than mines too lol. Still your lucky. VERY lucky

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my boss said that its not worth fixing and who knows what made it break. I can't pass it up just looked on ebay and people want $400 and up for these engines. I got to hear the one I'm buying and it sounds good.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I'm getting the cobalt engine ready to pull tonight and then going tomorrow at 11 to pull the new engine.

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your still going to end. Up paying WAY less doing all this work than what the actual cost is. Like a lot less.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, you're going to have to do a crank relearn before the new motor will run. What year is the "new" motor? More or less it should bolt right up, but if it's the LAP you won't be able to use the head because it's got VVT, unless you pull the ECU too.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

For 175$ that is NOTHING!!!!! In seen those bolts break off before. Even in my Jetta. So there is actually no way to tap it out?

Edit - I see what happened there. Ouch. Yeah your lucky your motor is cheap. My lsj would of cost me like 1500. I have the more expensive motor. Yelloeye motor cost less than mines too lol. Still your lucky. VERY lucky
CED wants $4794.00 for an LSJ and $4727.00 for an LNF. Pocket change more :bleh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais