Should I buy this Cobalt

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I turn it all the way to start it it cranks and when i let it go to the on position it will keep cranking on and off until i either turn it off ot release the clutch
That's the normal start function on cobalts, just need a quick flick to begin the startup procedure. Not sure about it repeating though as I've never had it not start.

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the normal start function on cobalts, just need a quick flick to begin the startup procedure. Not sure about it repeating though as I've never had it not start.

when I flick it I get one good crank and the rest are just short bursts about the same pace as the four way flasher. Would disconnecting the battery reset the security system and let me start the car?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
when I flick it I get one good crank and the rest are just short bursts about the same pace as the four way flasher. Would disconnecting the battery reset the security system and let me start the car?
Unlikely but it couldn't hurt to try it. 30 minutes is a full system discharge once you unhook the battery, I'd try 10 minutes to start with.

Is fuel actually getting into the cylinders? You have fuel in the rail simply because the fuel pump works, the motor will turn off the injectors with the security system.

Last edited:

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlikely but it couldn't hurt to try it. 30 minutes is a full system discharge once you unhook the battery, I'd try 10 minutes to start with.

Is fuel actually getting into the cylinders? You have fuel in the rail simply because the fuel pump works, the motor will turn off the injectors with the security system.

Still wont start after 10 minutes with the battery unhooked. I'm not sure if its getting gas to the cylinders though. When I had the plugs out to clean them they smelt like gas. How would I check for fuel to the cylinders?

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the plugs should be a little wet. What's the tailpipe smell like? If it smells like fuel you're golden there.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I say do the 30 minute key relearn and see if it works. Have another key or just the one?

Last edited:

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the plugs should be a little wet. What's the tailpipe smell like? If it smells like fuel you're golden there.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I say do the 30 minute key relearn and see if it works. Have another key or just the one?

Just the one key

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.... I'm thinking that since the security light is going out almost right away that it already knows the key. Can do the learn anyway to rule it out.

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I do the relearn? When I click the link on the website you gave me it says forbidden

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Injectors work. Just pulled the fuel rail and injectors and bumped the key and they sprayed

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK.... Weird... You have fuel and spark...

Key to on for 10 minutes, off for 5 sec. Repeat for a total of 30 minutes and 15 seconds. 3 cycles.

SonicStatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.... Weird... You have fuel and spark...

Key to on for 10 minutes, off for 5 sec. Repeat for a total of 30 minutes and 15 seconds. 3 cycles.

Yeah got fuel and spark but no go. when I bumped the key again with the injectors out it started to want to run from the gas in the air above the engine

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I'm working on the key relearn now. I wish I had a scan tool so I can check the stored codes

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Did the relearn and still wont start

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buttonsup