What's the difference between a lt and rs suspension?

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a video of the noise while turning. Could be a toasted CV joint.

I can try to get a video.. may be hard to hear it because its not super loud.. its more of we can fill it grinding..

CV Joint? is that something I could have done installing? I know the front struts seems to went in so easily.. I didn't think I leaned it on the CV Boot at all.. :-/

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be coincidence really.

I'm hoping not.. :-/

I haven't been able to snap any pics or record the sound.. but I did see rub marks on the right inner fender.. so that's making me hope that's all it is. I'm thinking I'll pull those out this weekend. How hard is that to do?

I do still hear some softer clunking noises as it drives.. doesn't it need to settle? Or is it normal for some sounds..? I'm wondering if I'm more paranoid than realistic.

Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More paranoid lol. Well look at it this way. They settled on my car. But they were on the car. After I took em out they were free. Also my car was on jack stands for 2 weeks. So they had no stress on em.

Rub marks are good
That's the sign of being low Lmao. A few clips and like 4 bolts hold it on. Not hard to take out.

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The turning audio is too short to get a feel for it. The hanging stuff was really loud. Driving straight though I think I hear a soft metallic clunk about 4 times. Like a tennis ball bouncing off a fender. Weird.

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving straight though I think I hear a soft metallic clunk about 4 times. Like a tennis ball bouncing off a fender. Weird.

Thank you for listening.. I'm not sure if something is loose.. or just because it's still settling.. I'm not sure. I'm more concerned with the turning cuz I can feel that one and praying it's just rubbing and isn't anything serious.

YelloEye

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you shoot another audio clip? Make it ~2 minutes long and remove any extra noise makers (that necklace, keychain, etc).

Does it happen when you turn the wheel stationary or just while moving? Speed dependant?

Jaws4God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you shoot another audio clip? Make it ~2 minutes long and remove any extra noise makers (that necklace, keychain, etc).

Does it happen when you turn the wheel stationary or just while moving? Speed dependant?

I can't do it for 2 minutes cuz its only during hard right turns with mild to high acceleration. .

Yesterday's sound...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jilmihh3k0ikle/Right Turn Clunck.m4a

I took out both fender wells and that air box resonator box while I was in there lol

Here are the pics of right side

Pic of fender before I removed it.

I am still hearing and feeling the cluncking without inner fenders.

Any ideas please let me know.

Thanks!

Bass_Waves

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those control arms look like they are FE3's I forgot what type of suspension you guys have on the regular cobalts but check the sway bar if its making contact with the control arm. Take a picture of the rear bushings on the control arms.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Iirc due to having crappy anti roll bars in front (sway bar) mated with those control arms u have, and being lowered. On hard turns you will get rubbing. Its common on Vw and I only have an SS. My control arms are not as wide as yours. If the sway bar is indeed rubbing. A quick notch of the control arm should help it go away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitey75

Latest posts