just got a cobalt, aftermarket on budget? help please

RedDead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks sooo much guys- it might be a while before i get anything done cause im so caught up in shcool, but i will deffanently post pics. i ahve a couple questions if soem1 could help me a little mroe
how much will tint actually cut down on visibility? my mom is pretty uncertain about it- or anything to say to her.
and will blacking out tail or head lights make the car more unsafe, or not really?
adn can i install lowering springs by myself?

A good thing to do is go to tintlaws.com usually 35% is around the norm and is easy to see out of.....as far as the taillights go u can still see through the tint on the taillights so your good to go

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

by see through the tint.....i mean that u can see the lights through the tint lol

RedDead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true.....it will dim the lights a bit....try not to go overboard with it lol.....u can google how dark the law allows your tail lights to be.....just type in your state and taillight laws lol.....it really isn't helpfull though because they measure the lights with candlepower or something like that lol.....

Intmd83r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya thats why i aint gonna tint mine ..... i cant get pulled over again for 5 years or my wife is gonna have to cart me around again . i have to watch what i do .i have seen led tail lights tho that change the tail lights up a little but i dont know what you have to do to install . they might be plug and play

co/b/alt

Reaction score
what is a good site to buy parts from and where can i find a good spoiler for a 4d, all i can seem to find is the oem one? is it worth painting myself, or having the place i order it from paint it- i seem to ahve a pretty rare paint code since i cant find spray cans in stores- or is that normal?

oh, and will a 2d spoiler fit on a 4d?

and, michigan tint laws are suupper relaxed, no limit for back or back winshield

black-balt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take those hubcaps off
Shave emblems, side trim
paint front bowtie to match car
and paint some interior pieces
Also if you have time and patience you can make yourself a set of eyelids like mine, I used vinyl but some people use paint, I made mine for like $10
there's alot you can do to your car for a low price, most of my customization I did myself, or got for a good price
if you're looking for rims, I'd say look around on craigslist, I got my 18's and tires for $600
I've seen nice rims in there for as low as $300.

Also you can tint your tails, very cheap and looks nice

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

what is a good site to buy parts from and where can i find a good spoiler for a 4d, all i can seem to find is the oem one? is it worth painting myself, or having the place i order it from paint it- i seem to ahve a pretty rare paint code since i cant find spray cans in stores- or is that normal?

oh, and will a 2d spoiler fit on a 4d?

and, michigan tint laws are suupper relaxed, no limit for back or back winshield

You're going to pay quite a bit for a spoiler if you order one offline, I'd say to check the for sale threads on the forums, or get in good with some cobalt people, my friend sold me her SS spoiler for $60, they're usually double that, and come unpainted

co/b/alt

Reaction score
what do you mean my shave emblems and side trim, is that the same as debadge? , and thanks for the advice

black-balt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, exactly, I bought my car brand new, and the day after I brought it home, I was outside pulling the emblems and side trim off, it looks alot cleaner IMO

No offense but don't make the same mistake I made,
When I had my cavalier before I got my cobalt, I was on a budget too, and I bought the chrome hubcaps, and a fake hood scoop and carbon fiber tape, and pretty much riced my car out, I even had some cheesy racing stripes (it's a stage most of us all go through) but then I realized if I never would've bought any of that crap I could have afforded maybe a CF hood or something decent.

Now that I have my cobalt, I worked my ass off to get the parts for it, and not to brag but I think it looks pretty damn good.

here's my old cav
rice-2.jpg

rice2.jpg

here's my cobalt (Lilith)
before
baby.jpg

and now
lilith6-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

009.jpg

Last edited:

Members online