Castrol Edge Synthetic!

FASTL61

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes usually 7.99 a quart and the bosch filter is 6.49.29.99 is a killer ass deal

chemist

Reaction score
I started her with Mobile 1 Super Syn (synthetic) and actually substantiated the gas milage increase they claimed. It got me about 1 - 2 mpg better. Between that and a K&N filter, and my wife regularly gets 35 mpg--same as what the Aveo claimed, only you get a nicer car...

Mind you, this 35 mpg is not on the flats or Arizona or Texas. It's here in the Pocono hills of PA.

Jn2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, i heard good things about edge, but idk im a mobil1 guy :) i tried royal purple,castrol syntec for 2 oil changes, liked it, but went back to mobil1 oil and delco oil filter...but im open to different oils...may try this edge stuff next time...

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm ive been thinking about the switch....i use to use penzoil platinum...and then i got the saab...and in the saab i use mobil 1 0w-30....so then i switched to mobil 1 5w-30 in the balt....but ive been seeing the commercial on how edge protects and lubricates 8x better...so i might make the change

Maven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys need to look into what test that Castrol is using to claim its 8x times better than Mobil1.......I use Mobil 1, I like Redline too, but I have to order it or remember to buy it at racetrack.

Dubby whytf are you using 0w30???? Its colder here in jersey than by you and i still use 5w30

Phastone

Reaction score
FASTL61 said:
0-W30?!?!?!?!?!?!.Really?Reason behind this please.Not flaming or hating but just interested in why you use this weight?

Maven said:
...Dubby whytf are you using 0w30???? Its colder here in jersey than by you and i still use 5w30

Maven hit on it, sorta. At cold start-up, even if you live in the desert, any weight of oil is too thick to circulate and do it's job properly so you want oil with the lowest number you can find for its "cold" viscosity number. That way the engine is being protected as quickly as possible.

And Maven was spot on about something else he said. Don't believe everything you hear on a commercial. Just like anything else someone is selling, they bend the facts and/or tell you half-truths to make what they're selling sound better. I'm not bagging on Castrol, btw. They are one of the better companies and I've been using their european formula 0w30 syntec in my ZO6 and past toys for years. As far as the Edge stuff goes, I haven't tried it and I've heard both good and bad about it so :shrug: I'd say you're probably good, though.

Revenant_SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many negative reports about Royal Purple on the bobistheoilguy.com website for it to ever see use in my engine.

Amsoil is a very good oil, so is Mobil 1. Pennzoil Platinum is also very good. My advice is to take whatever advertisement, advice or test results from any manufacturers website and disregard them completely.

People on bitog.com send their results to blackstone labs which does a breakdown of the oil and sends them the results which they share with the rest of us. That's the only place people should be getting oil advice from.

And one thing I've noticed about LNF tests is that we have a higher concentration of fuel in our oil. I'd say because of the pressure of direct injection. For this reason, I change my oil at 5000kms instead of the oil life monitor. 2% fuel dilution was the recommended max and one LNF owner was seeing 4% when going by the OLM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaiAnderso