How to install Cams (2.2 but works for any)

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's slightly confuddling but the last 2 paragraphs tell you exactly how to time it. Minus the chain tensioner.....

TOM!!! Fix it....:lol:

i did my timing with these instructions the first time...since then ive done the timing on these engines a few times where i dont even need the instructions anymore...i also figuered out a way to do the timing without removing the front cover...but its a bit tricky because you need to mark the chain and the cam gears and make sure you put them back exactly the way you pulled them off...or else you will bend something

rockSTAR_SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully I can do it. I've never messed with timing on any vehicle before.

mrsilent13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully I can do it. I've never messed with timing on any vehicle before.

its not too hard...just follow the instructions carefully and make sure you have a tool to pull the tensioner out......i used a humongous crescent wrench. once you break the torque on that bolt it will spin out freely by hand. and when you putting everything back together try to get the #1 cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) will make things a bit easier when installing the chain drive gear. this way the Dot on the chain drive is facing to 5 o clock and all you have to do is install the chain as is without having to turn the crank to line up the dots.

this is very important, the crank turns clockwise....UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU TURN THE CRANK COUNTER CLOCKWISE. if you have the chain installed and you turn the crank counter clockwise...the chain will jump and u will damage some valves. so just follow the instructions...good luck

huckernage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got my stg 2 cam

and I have a jtool

will be easier with this tool

what type of lub did you use to lub my cams

is a break it over 30 min. at 2000-2500 is ok

lovely09

Reaction score
Very helpful post.I have my chevy for three years but honestly saying,i have a lot more things to learn including cam installation.I will work on to it.Many thanks.

camopaint0707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mrsilent13-you have installed cams on an 07?? is there anyway to take cams from an LSJ and put them on? or would that not even make a difference

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaurais